• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post
    Is that an apart from a Linux guy he can be a contractor? I know linux very well, but I am not ready to go perme yet.
    Nah, I think we are only after permies.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

My experience is the IT landscape is very complicated now compared with 10 years ago. No one wants a siloed developer type person anymore. You need so much more than just "can code in XYZ".

A lot of people haven't moved with the times and companies won't upskill people at higher grades.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Bottom feeders tend to do longer hours to compensate for their lack of understanding & lack of time management skillset IME!
        My guess it is more a team culture thing, if everyone else in the Team is working 14 hours, then if you only work 8 you are are going to be seen as a bit of a slacker.

Like in investment banking, except those guys from Delhi probably dont get as well compensated for the extra hours they put in.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          My guess it is more a team culture thing, if everyone else in the Team is working 14 hours, then if you only work 8 you are are going to be seen as a bit of a slacker.

Like in investment banking, except those guys from Delhi probably dont get as well compensated for the extra hours they put in.
          Why does the phrase
          I used to think you were intelligent and then you opened your mouth
          come to mind as I read the above.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Why does the phrase

come to mind as I read the above.

I could say the same thing about your last post.

Comment

Had more gigs pop up in the last 2 weeks. Highest amount I've seen since the pandemic began. However competition is incredibly fierce - many recruiters have told me there are very experienced people going for more junior roles, and even people want to come out of retirement to make a bit of dosh.

Rates seem to be a mixed bag. Had a few sent over to me as low as £175pd

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                Had more gigs pop up in the last 2 weeks. Highest amount I've seen since the pandemic began. However competition is incredibly fierce - many recruiters have told me there are very experienced people going for more junior roles, and even people want to come out of retirement to make a bit of dosh.

Rates seem to be a mixed bag. Had a few sent over to me as low as £175pd
                This is typical recruiter activity. "What's your lowest rate? Tell me your lowest rate, we have hundreds of applicants!"

To the hiring manager. "We have a huge skills shortage in this area, competition from other companies looking for those skills is huge. What's your highest rate, how high can you go to compete for the best".
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  This is typical recruiter activity. "What's your lowest rate? Tell me your lowest rate, we have hundreds of applicants!"

To the hiring manager. "We have a huge skills shortage in this area, competition from other companies looking for those skills is huge. What's your highest rate, how high can you go to compete for the best".
                  I'm keeping a log of all the gigs I apply for, the rate and how far I get in the process to build a better picture of my respective area and progress.

I don't think recruiters are to blame on this occasion, there is simply too many candidates. Race to the bottom, if you will. I think there would be many who would be happy to work for £150-175pd just to keep ticking or pay for monthly outgoings.

Comment

I am temporarily in London and the unanimous opinion from agents is that there are 150 to 400+ applications for each role. Roles posted in Northern Ireland and northern Scotland are seeing 70% of applications from people based in London.

It suggests that the WFH dynamic is causing other issues. Rates are going down AND inside IR35 roles by default, to avoid business confrontation with HMRC after April. Not good.

I have had agents phone me asking if I will come into client offices full time in a fortnight. Some of these roles are in finance! I have said no, to remain honest, but may have to pretend I will go in and then take the job and make up an excuse to avoid having to travel long distances for low inside rates. I have never worked inside IR35 before and am reticent to do so now.

RIP contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      I am not sure of the exact salary per roll but in my experience the company is pretty generous with salaries and bonuses. The main issue is finding people who can pass the entrance test and follow up interviews.
                      Ok, so they engineered a problem, by creating a difficult entry. But that is a different topic and company's choice.
                      That's fine. You still should be aware salary range. Best/worst case. Base - 70k - 100k - 150k - 200k?

Comment

Working...
                      X