• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    April 1 2022?

Sorry guys to be responding to these posts in this way but it is almost as if the evidence from the past 100 pages is being ignored.

The evidence is saying '200 applications per role' and it has been that way since March last year, thats almost 12 months. Unless you are contracted through to April 2022 expect to be benched for the entirety of 2021.

If, through some lottery (because thats what it is out there at the minute) you bag a role in April then you will be like the chap on the previous page wondering how he ended up being chosen and thank your blessings.

Skill and experience level means near zero in a bear market as brutal as this one, connections and contacts mean almost everything.
    April 2021.

I'm in my 3rd role of the last 12 months so I don't think it's luck alone (the nature of what I do is very much an in and out thing on a 3-6 month contract so I rarely get anything long term).

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
      Why funny? Any business that intends to survive and thrive must be fully digitalised and online. So many opportunities in start-ups offering new services online, B2B, B2C. DeFi, FinTech, booming.

Cloud adoption booming. AI reaching mainstream applications and adoption. EVs and smart grids in the energy space. Cars that update themselves without needing to visit a garage. Mobile everything.

The need for this NOW when the World has been unable to visit physical locations is huge. Tech and IT is the new gold rush.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        Tech and IT is the new gold rush.
        Well there may have been record demand for Tech and IT before Covid hit.

But salaries and rates didn't reflect it, even before Covid.

The only reason i can see why rates are not booming these days on such high demand is record numbers on the supply side as well.

Record numbers of Immigrant IT workers and of grads entering the jobs market, high levels offshoring, are all suppressing rates and salaries.

Between 1997 and 2000. I saw rates and salaries double in IT. That was a real gold rush on the back of the emerging internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          Well there may have been record demand for Tech and IT before Covid hit.

But salaries and rates didn't reflect it, even before Covid.

The only reason i can see why rates are not booming these days on such high demand is record numbers on the supply side as well.

Record numbers of Immigrant IT workers and of grads entering the jobs market, high levels offshoring, are all suppressing rates and salaries.

Between 1997 and 2000. I saw rates and salaries double in IT. That was a real gold rush on the back of the emerging internet.
          Plus outsourcing. Last project I worked on with a team in Delhi. People there would work a 14 year day and never say a crossed word. They came over here for 2 weeks for an office visit and did the same. Whilst we went to the pub they were in the office till 9. Not once did they complain.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
            Plus outsourcing. Last project I worked on with a team in Delhi. People there would work a 14 year day and never say a crossed word. They came over here for 2 weeks for an office visit and did the same. Whilst we went to the pub they were in the office till 9. Not once did they complain.
            I also suspect (heck I know) that someone doing a 7-8 hour day with plenty of rest in between will deliver more work of a higher quality.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Do you consider why they don't complain or say anything?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I also suspect (heck I know) that someone doing a 7-8 hour day with plenty of rest in between will deliver more work of a higher quality.
                You never been 'In the Zone / Flow state"?

Some of my best work in my career was done in that state, 60+ hours a week for a few months on end. I enjoyed it so much it didn't even feel like work, and i'm normally highly productive in that sate, producing a clean simple design that works well.

But it is not he norm for me. The work is rarely that interesting. Most of the stuff I do for clients is mundane, smaller stuff that isn't really conducive for entering 'the zone/flow state'.

Although i doubt a large team working 14 hours days are really in the Zone, more likely they are 'Hog Butchering' as Fred Brooks called it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I think it depends on the work. If the work is well defined and the person has done it many times before then there will be a very small loss in productivity in those extra hours so you would see someone putting in a 14 hour day always doing a good 50% more than they would in an 8 hour day.

Now of course if it's something that's new to them or requires a high level of creativity or intellect then it's different... but that's the type of work you probably shouldn't offshore anyway.

Comment

Bottom feeders tend to do longer hours to compensate for their lack of understanding & lack of time management skillset IME!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                      If you have all mentioned experience, the problem is not lack of jobs. The problem is "adequate salary".
                      And you can't find engineers fast enough, only if you are offering a "market rate".
                      If not secret, what is the salary range?
                      I am not sure of the exact salary per roll but in my experience the company is pretty generous with salaries and bonuses. The main issue is finding people who can pass the entrance test and follow up interviews.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X