• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While many are struggling, I'm reminded that there are still plenty of 9-5 contractors out there raking it in on Govt projects on outside IR35 contracts.

A few people I work with have been on £600+ p/d for nearly 4 years now on a GOV.UK project and are very much the bums on seats style clowns these places are full of. One of them even got an Employee recognition award of some sort a few weeks ago - I tulip you not. This team made up entirely of contractors have been nominating each other for these awards apparently, but this was the first time anyone won.

Of course they don't actually do much either except drag out projects for as long as possible, a simple migration of some data from an old CMS has been in the works for an entire year now and I was given access to the dev environment to see what's been done. Checked the logs and the last bit of work done on it was October.

It would be funny if it wasn't public funds that were being wasted, and if it wasn't so bitterly ironic that I am classed as inside IR35 on my main contract despite always behaving like an external consultant and not just clocking in and out and becoming entangled in the corporate web to continue getting extended. Maybe we're all missing a trick there.

That was some unintended rant there, soz.

Comment

An unusual week for me.

2 calls for contracts, one in Germany and one in Luxembourg. One for Wipro and the other TCS, end clients are financial institutions. Both paying around 700 Euros / day.

They're not keen on entertaining remote work even in this Covid situation, so it's unlikely it'll work out for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
        While many are struggling, I'm reminded that there are still plenty of 9-5 contractors out there raking it in on Govt projects on outside IR35 contracts.

A few people I work with have been on £600+ p/d for nearly 4 years now on a GOV.UK project and are very much the bums on seats style clowns .
        Winner winner chicken dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

A few people I work with have been on £600+ p/d for nearly 4 years now on a GOV.UK project and are very much the bums on seats style clowns these places are full of.
          That was me 2 years ago. Very high rate (although inside ir35) doing virtually nothing. The boredom was soul crushing, also I was working in an office crowded with devs with very poor hygiene (never smelled such a pungent BO) so I left after 6 months.

If I had known that covid and work from home was round the corner I would have never left...I could have been getting the chunky day rate from the gov contract and doing more interesting work on the side.

Comment

Just heard my contract is ending on February 4th as the client is running out of money. Onwards (on Monday, I shall allow myself a brief period of mourning).

Comment

A few people I work with have been on £600+ p/d for nearly 4 years now on a GOV.UK project and are very much the bums on seats style clowns these places are full of. One of them even got an Employee recognition award of some sort a few weeks ago - I tulip you not. This team made up entirely of contractors have been nominating each other for these awards apparently, but this was the first time anyone won.

Of course they don't actually do much either except drag out projects for as long as possible, a simple migration of some data from an old CMS has been in the works for an entire year now and I was given access to the dev environment to see what's been done. Checked the logs and the last bit of work done on it was October.

It would be funny if it wasn't public funds that were being wasted, and if it wasn't so bitterly ironic that I am classed as inside IR35 on my main contract despite always behaving like an external consultant and not just clocking in and out and becoming entangled in the corporate web to continue getting extended. Maybe we're all missing a trick there.

Having migrated from private to public sector just before Covid hit, this sounds all too familiar. I wonder if you're working next to me . Although with April looming, many of the 'global consultancies' providing 'elite contractors' into the sector are now doing blanket IR35 determinations.

So now the fintech bubble is popping and Gov is being gutted, where does a boy go next?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                That was me 2 years ago. Very high rate (although inside ir35) doing virtually nothing. The boredom was soul crushing, also I was working in an office crowded with devs with very poor hygiene (never smelled such a pungent BO) so I left after 6 months.
                That reminded me of this video from the Tech Lead, its is one of his better videos: 7 WORST things about Software Engineering - YouTube
                Last edited by Fraidycat; 15 January 2021, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Just heard my contract is ending on February 4th as the client is running out of money. Onwards (on Monday, I shall allow myself a brief period of mourning).
                  I am sorry to hear that SussexSeagull.

I wish you best luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Sorry to hear that too.

Is the company legit running out of money (ie risk of bankruptcy) or are they just cutting costs during the recession, so your project has run out of funding?

Comment

i want to cry and slap our Gov

Comment

Working...
                      X