• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PTP View Post
    But is there really much of a benefit paying pension contributions when with an umbrella? Something tells me not.
    I'd rather max out my S&S ISA limit first because I've got full control over accessing it.
    If you are saving for retirement and can afford it, then it really is a no brainer. If it's coming out of higher rate tax band you are saving 40% tax, 13.8% employers NI and at least some 12% employees NI. When you take it out you will get £12K ( and rising ) tax free, and then likely just lower rate tax on anything over that. You are losing over half up front with the ISA route.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Missing the tax when you take it out. It's not such a simple calculation... depends what your income level is like when you take it out. Obviously with inside ir35 contract the tax liability is so high it's almost always better to put it into pension you are right and i did skip over that. But with a ltd company some people will be better off taking out what they can at basic rate + corp tax if they end up in a higher tax bracket in retirement age, but anyway that's a good problem to have...
      But we started talking about Umbrellas see

Originally posted by PTP View Post
      I can see why maxing out pension contributions in a perm job instantly doubles your money because the employer at least matches your contribution.

But is there really much of a benefit paying pension contributions when with an umbrella? Something tells me not.
      I'd rather max out my S&S ISA limit first because I've got full control over accessing it.
      And it's little different once you start talking about taking dividends when your income is above £50k

£3000 from company to pension -> £3000 in pension

Via dividends

£3000 = £2430 after corporation tax
      £2430 would require £789.75 in dividend tax
      So from your original £3000 you can invest £1640.25 in your ISA
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        But with a ltd company some people will be better off taking out what they can at basic rate + corp tax if they end up in a higher tax bracket in retirement age, but anyway that's a good problem to have...
        You're likely to max out your basic rate anyway, regardless of how much you put in your pension, but obviously the less tax you have to pay on your earnings, the less absolute benefit there is in pension contributions. There are other knock-on benefits from contributing, though, especially within IR35, which is that your income for tax purposes is reduced. This could put other income in a lower tax threshold, or make you eligible for child benefit etc.

Comment

Has the state of the market got so bad we just post tedious pension posts now?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Has the state of the market got so bad we just post tedious pension posts now?

It is a bit concerning that 14 days into the new year we havent seen a flurry of posts saying the market in general is having a good January bounce.
            eg Posters saying they are getting lots of calls from agents, interviews being arranged etc, but maybe it is still too early.

Or did the latest national lockdown kill off any chance of a new year bounce?
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 14 January 2021, 12:51.

Comment

I haven't noticed any difference from the last months of 2020. It's still very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                It is a bit concerning that 14 days into the new year we havent seen a flurry of posts saying the market in general is having a good January bounce.
                eg Posters saying they are getting lots of calls from agents, interviews being arranged etc, but maybe it is still too early.

Or did the latest national lockdown kill off any chance of a new year bounce?
                We might of done.

Then Boris closed everything down again on the Monday 4th - I know I stopped rushing to employ someone at that point.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've had One call from an agent this year.
                  £300 inside IR35 with BP in London - WTF

Comment

Originally posted by The Butcher View Post
                    I've had One call from an agent this year.
                    £300 inside IR35 with BP in London - WTF
                    WTF indeed, thats like 3000 a month after tax if you take some decent holidays (not that you could afford to at that rate).

Im hoping because of the Vaccine rollout, the market will pick up in May as things return back to towards normal.

But not im not very hopeful about the next three months.

But private sector IR35 in April might even scupper a May recovery for the contractor sector
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 14 January 2021, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by blade99
                      Ive been wondering this, do you think the inside rates listed are after tax, or before.
                      Yes.

I've seen both, so its important to read exactly what the advert says. And you'll most likely still need to speak to the agent to get clarification. And they'll probably get it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X