• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    I've definitely seen more FTC roles this year for middle-senior management roles, typically £100-125k p.a. and seems to be becoming more noticeable in some parts of the public sector like the NHS. I wonder if this is going to be a longer term trend?
    my hunch has always been that diluting employment rights has always been on the table. Braitain has been struggling for a long time with productivity below expectations. we might see a shift to "employment at will" as we see in the great US of A.
    it would be great as well if we could get similar pay packages as them but that is a different discussion.

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    I ve seen many people do nothing during their notice period other than drink coffee and turn up. You are crazy to think it’s bad
    the main issue is that if you mention to any recruiter that you have 3m notice, you'd definitely won't be considered. some tulipty roles have such high turnover that they could be filled twice in 3 months.
    you'd have to be dishonest about it. there is an alternative of taking self certified sick leave, than go to GP with stress and by that point you'd be left alone. but if it is as GT mentioned, no penalty for it, why just not show up one day and claim personal issues.

a common trick to todays society is that they shaft you on something then they pretend they are doing you a favour on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Yeah maybe holiday is the wrong word?!? I am not british so not sure what you guys would say but go somewhere warm and cheap like portugal, greece, turkey and rent a flat for 6 months or a year. You can get a decent 2 bed flat near the beach in turkey for like 300-350 pounds a month right now.
      Great option if you have no family, no friends, no social commitments whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        Great option if you have no family, no friends, no social commitments whatsoever.
        Considering it's a contractor forum I'm sure there are lots of people who live a flexible life. I have friends and family in multiple countries. I am sure I'm not the only one here.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          my hunch has always been that diluting employment rights has always been on the table. Braitain has been struggling for a long time with productivity below expectations. we might see a shift to "employment at will" as we see in the great US of A.
          it would be great as well if we could get similar pay packages as them but that is a different discussion.

the main issue is that if you mention to any recruiter that you have 3m notice, you'd definitely won't be considered. some tulipty roles have such high turnover that they could be filled twice in 3 months.
          you'd have to be dishonest about it. there is an alternative of taking self certified sick leave, than go to GP with stress and by that point you'd be left alone. but if it is as GT mentioned, no penalty for it, why just not show up one day and claim personal issues.

a common trick to todays society is that they shaft you on something then they pretend they are doing you a favour on it.
          I think you get some of these contract roles in public sector not because of employment rights but more because they can't hire anyone for what they're allowed to pay perm salary. When they put the role up as contract they can effectively operate outside their pay bands.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            Considering it's a contractor forum I'm sure there are lots of people who live a flexible life. I have friends and family in multiple countries. I am sure I'm not the only one here.
            Ok so you don't have a clue about what the average UK contractor looks like. Case closed.

Comment

I could quite feasibly disappear overseas for a good few months. It would be a PITA to put all my stuff in storage but otherwise it's not an impossible thing to consider.

HWMBO may be a bit miffed but in reality it wouldn't require any more co-ordination than we currently go through to see each other.

Comment

I ve seen many people do nothing during their notice period other than drink coffee and turn up. You are crazy to think it’s bad
                Most companies would just terminate you on the spot, walk you off site and no money in lieu.

The idea you can work a 3 month notice by just turning up and drinking coffee all day or anything close, is ludicrous.

Yeah, try going to an employment tribunal and demanding the money 'owed' in those circumstances.

Comment

Thanks James brown. Is there any advantage of FTC over perm if you were given the choice?

Can you think of any positives other then finishing when it expires (which is not a positive in my book). No employment tribunal no redundancy pay. What are the FTC benefits
                  Over perm? No. There are rules on equal treatment, so the contract T&Cs will be the same, other than the fixed nature. Over no work? Yes, depending on your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                    Ok so you don't have a clue about what the average UK contractor looks like. Case closed.
                    You're a petty child. I offered a suggestion that may or may not apply to people , no need to take it so personally. Complete overreaction and uncalled for.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                      Most companies would just terminate you on the spot, walk you off site and no money in lieu.

The idea you can work a 3 month notice by just turning up and drinking coffee all day or anything close, is ludicrous.

Yeah, try going to an employment tribunal and demanding the money 'owed' in those circumstances.
                      You must never have worked in that case. There is nothing they can do to prove you did nothing. If you prefer to be academic go sick for three months with a doctors note

My point is notice period is chill time

Comment

Working...
                      X