• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    From my limited view companies are all over the shop with regards to locations. Some are full on WFH for the forceable but others want people near the office. I almost hate to tell them that if another full lockdown came in being 500 yards or 500 miles from the office wouldn't make much difference.
    Best ones imho are the companies who can't make up their mind, so go half and half - "we offer a flexible working schedule, you can work up to 3 days from home". Like this is going to change anything, you still need to be local for those 2 days which means you need to be local for the whole lot FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      Best ones imho are the companies who can't make up their mind, so go half and half - "we offer a flexible working schedule, you can work up to 3 days from home". Like this is going to change anything, you still need to be local for those 2 days which means you need to be local for the whole lot FFS.
      Exactly this 1/2 way house is the worse

My co is using the money they are saving to send everyone on holiday for 2 weeks - post lockdown !!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        I know it doesn't matter right now but out of curiosity why did you not move? If you own your house let it out and rent something closer. Was it because of kids?
        You guessed it right. It was because of kid and the school. Even though kid is going to Uni next week, I wouldn't move. London is congested and expensive :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          You guessed it right. It was because of kid and the school. Even though kid is going to Uni next week, I wouldn't move. London is congested and expensive :-)
          I moved from jockland after commuting for many years

1st contact offered after I moved

Glasgow !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
            I already have a job offer. And they apologised, and will be rescheduled. It's unacceptable imo.
            Well played sah! Good for you, I would have taken the interview and hoped the desperation didn't show too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
              Well played sah! Good for you, I would have taken the interview and hoped the desperation didn't show too much.
              Haha. There's no way I could have scrambled myself together in 10-15 minutes for an interview with 2 very senior managers. I saw postponement as the safer choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
                More evidence if any needed that perm is somehow safer then contracting. Total nonsense. Perm is notice period and that’s it. Always has been
                Ah, but perm is your notice period. Contract notice period is at the whim of the client.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It opens things up a bit, I think. Two hours each way commute is doable (for me), two days a week. It is not doable anymore, for me, five days a week, although I have done that in my younger years.

Comment

I got put forward for a contract that was initially WFH but might involved some meetings at their office in the West Midlands when things opened up a bit (it was earlier in the year). No problem. Went on to point out they were moving to a location in Oxfordshire. Again, no problem as I can come and stay over if they want me in the office.

Few days later I get a phone call from the agent as the client was concerned about my location and pointed out they had a third office in the home counties I might need to visit. I pointed out it wasn't physically possible for one person to be near all three offices and any form of lockdown would make it all academic anyway.

Never did hear back. I suspect they are waiting for someone to apply perfectly equidistant from all three offices.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      I got put forward for a contract that was initially WFH but might involved some meetings at their office in the West Midlands when things opened up a bit (it was earlier in the year). No problem. Went on to point out they were moving to a location in Oxfordshire. Again, no problem as I can come and stay over if they want me in the office.

Few days later I get a phone call from the agent as the client was concerned about my location and pointed out they had a third office in the home counties I might need to visit. I pointed out it wasn't physically possible for one person to be near all three offices and any form of lockdown would make it all academic anyway.

Never did hear back. I suspect they are waiting for someone to apply perfectly equidistant from all three offices.
                      Unfortunate, isn't it.

More likely the pimp was selling to you a fake job, and he was tracking you for a few days/weeks with empty updates, to see if you end up getting on to something else and he can, in the guise of a chat / updates, check what other roles are going on in the market, so he can steal it.

I have had things like this happen to me too.

Those 3 bolded words go well together, don't they?

Comment

Working...
                      X