• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
    I've seen various photos in the DM and others that show the deserted concourse at Waterloo at "rush hour" and I can't help wondering if the pictures were really taken at 5 am or they're using some trickery with their lenses to make the scene appear more deserted. The converse, I suppose, of those pictures which claimed to show sunbathers crammed cheek by jowel on the beach at Bournemouth when the reality was somewhat different.

I haven't been up to old London Town since before this crisis hit so I don't really know but I'll ask you, since you are a man on the ground there, is it really that quiet?
    ex colleague of mine says whilst the city is deserted, the roads are chocka block as nobody wants to use public transport

Comment

I've seen various photos in the DM and others that show the deserted concourse at Waterloo at "rush hour" and I can't help wondering if the pictures were really taken at 5 am or they're using some trickery with their lenses to make the scene appear more deserted. The converse, I suppose, of those pictures which claimed to show sunbathers crammed cheek by jowel on the beach at Bournemouth when the reality was somewhat different.

I haven't been up to old London Town since before this crisis hit so I don't really know but I'll ask you, since you are a man on the ground there, is it really that quiet?
      Yes
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I am in canary wharf for lunch right now (live 10 mins walk away, but fancied a Indian wrap today) it’s like 20% capacity as per normal

So that’s about 200K people missing all not paying a combined £1.5billion per month in commuting costs

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          I am in canary wharf for lunch right now (live 10 mins walk away, but fancied a Indian wrap today) it’s like 20% capacity as per normal

So that’s about 200K people missing all not paying a combined £1.5billion per month in commuting costs

200K * £8 tfl ticket * 20 days = 32MM

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
            200K * £8 tfl ticket * 20 days = 32MM
            Dammm you and your maths

I meant annually

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Dammm you and your maths

I meant annually

Its still a lot - And thats only from one station - There is no way that TFL can surive another six months of this - Its at breaking point

Comment

Me commuting from the south cost to London is £500 a month. I was once told a 12 carriage train pulling into London Bridge can be carrying a thousand people in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Me commuting from the south cost to London is £500 a month. I was once told a 12 carriage train pulling into London Bridge can be carrying a thousand people in it.
                  Yes, but since that's a Connex South Eastern route, it probably wouldn't have shown up in the first place

Comment

Top tier European IB firm:

- HR contacts me last Monday to say I've made it to final round
                    - 3 days later HR contacts me on Thursday to ask if I can do Monday at 4PM. I reply promptly saying Yes
                    - Emailed and called HR on Friday; not a peep
                    - It's now Monday 2PM and still no confirmation of interview.

This Covid period has been the first time I've ever seen employers acting this unprofessionally and wishy washy with recruitment. The example above is resonant of the types of situations I've faced in the last few months.

Comment

Yes, but since that's a Connex South Eastern route, it probably wouldn't have shown up in the first place
                      Thamesink but your point stands!

Comment

Working...
                      X