• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

yeh, - right!
    the end client needs more of me, and is obviously finding it difficult
    no point on here, i suppose.
    all namby pamby web devs and waste of space PM's/BA's/etc etc.
    no engineers.
    Being a PM pays pretty well in the right niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Being a PM pays pretty well in the right niche.
      so what? - still just a Powerpoint Monkey.
      waste of space.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        so what? - still just a Powerpoint Monkey.
        waste of space.
        Your lack of understanding is only to be expected. You're like an ape on a reservation who can't work out what these humans are up to arriving in a metal box on wheels, opening and closing metal doors and leaving again.

Somebody has to make the decisions about what people like you do and in what sequence. I've been in my current gig for less than 2 weeks and have already saved them from a complete car crash of an implementation. Without me - car crash. With me - viable implementation. Not a waste of space. See?

Comment

Your lack of understanding is only to be expected. You're like an ape on a reservation who can't work out what these humans are up to arriving in a metal box on wheels, opening and closing metal doors and leaving again.

Somebody has to make the decisions about what people like you do and in what sequence. I've been in my current gig for less than 2 weeks and have already saved them from a complete car crash of an implementation. Without me - car crash. With me - viable implementation. Not a waste of space. See?
          Aye, - right.

Comment

It does depend on the PM. Some are wastes of space. Others do a good job.

Comment

see above

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                It does depend on the PM. Some are wastes of space. Others do a good job.
                Agreed. Plenty of idiot PMs around, like idiot "Engineers".

Comment

Without me - car crash. With me - viable implementation. Not a waste of space. See?
                  And I bet you had a 2 slide presentation showing them that too - 1 for each path

(I know, I would have when I've dabbled in PM type roles)

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    And I bet you had a 2 slide presentation showing them that too - 1 for each path

(I know, I would have when I've dabbled in PM type roles)
                    The funny thing is... they all already had a nagging feeling it wasn't right, but nobody had said anything out loud. I've been doing this for 20 years and it was clearly plain wrong.

And it's 3 slides actually, because I have a Do Minimum option as a baseline

Comment

PMs who are not subject matter experts in whatever the project is in are a waste of space.

They're just really expensive admins.

Comment

Working...
                      X