• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    FOLPM1
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

    Comment


      Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      FOLPM1
      Amen, Brother.

      Comment


        Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        It's difficult if you're implementing technology but don't understand the technology. If you can't communicate with your team because you don't understand what they do and then if you also don't know the client side of it then that's pretty rough, you're just an expensive admin.

        Sounds like you're saying you know the client business well but have no idea what is going on in your projects and now it's getting more difficult to get work. Maybe you're better off in sales?
        Jane, I am sure you are not reading what I said and are just following your own agenda.

        I am sure there are needs for both types of PM, but in my world this has quite explicitly not been the case. If the PM is supposed to know as much as the Solution Designer, then one might also say they can do away with an SD on the team. Or, if you want only an SD, then sure, but these have told me they cannot do, nor do they want to do all the planning and facilitating, as someone else said.

        20 years as a PM would seem to suggest I am better off exactly where I am. But I thank you for your concern.
        Last edited by simes; 19 September 2020, 16:39.

        Comment


          Originally posted by simes View Post
          Jane, I am sure you are not reading what I said and are just following your own agenda.

          I am sure there are needs for both types of PM, but in my world this has quite explicitly not been the case. If the PM is supposed to know as much as the Solution Designer, then one might also say they can do away with an SD on the team. Or, if you want only an SD, then sure, but these have told me they cannot do, nor do they want to do all the planning and facilitating, as someone else say.

          20 years as a PM would seem to suggest I am better off exactly where I am. But I thank you for your concern.
          Nah I was pretty clear from my earlier statements that a PM only needs a high level understanding of the different aspects of the project. Of course PMs get away with having no understanding all the time, but it's not ideal.

          You had stated that you were having a hard time finding contract work now (isnt everyone?) so i suggested a shift into sales where your strong understanding of the client's business/industry/etc would be valued. Lots of people make a killing in software sales.

          Comment


            Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            Nah I was pretty clear from my earlier statements that a PM only needs a high level understanding of the different aspects of the project. Of course PMs get away with having no understanding all the time, but it's not ideal.

            You had stated that you were having a hard time finding contract work now (isnt everyone?) so i suggested a shift into sales where your strong understanding of the client's business/industry/etc would be valued. Lots of people make a killing in software sales.
            In this, more than Any market, if anyone is having trouble getting a job in their own field, then shifting into sales with absolutely no prior experience I cannot really see as being in any way possible...

            Anyway, I am going to tough it out. (Am pretty close to something but, until contracts are signed and feet are under a virtual table, I can't shout this one from the rooftops. Yet.)

            Comment


              Originally posted by edison View Post
              Yes, it does carry risk but it's self perpetuating to some extent. It's common for hiring managers in financial services and retail to only consider people with sector expertise. Public sector can vary, partly as the various parts of it can be quite different. The NHS can be very different from central government or higher education can be different to local government.

              When you talk about what people are seeking in generalists v specialists, this is sometimes called a 'T shape.' The horizontal bar of the T refers to breadth of knowledge and the vertical bar is the depth of specialisation. You can get various types of T depending on the balance between breadth and depth of experience.
              I think a lot is market conditioned as well, i.e they might have to go looking outside their sector if they can't get anyone else. If it was just contracting I could understand it as they can expect off the shelf talent but when i was permanent the city was a closed shop as well.

              I imagine some areas are extremely difficult for someone with more general experience to pick up but I think it is a crying shame that having a varied CV that shows a desire and pick up new things quickly is almost seen as a bad thing.

              Comment


                Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                I imagine some areas are extremely difficult for someone with more general experience to pick up but I think it is a crying shame that having a varied CV that shows a desire and pick up new things quickly is almost seen as a bad thing.
                It is a shame, and it is bloody frustrating. And not only 'showing a desire', but if the contract duration is over six months, 'having successfully done.'

                Irrespective of the above conversation (non-tech PMs), when recruiters say that I can't be put forward for something as I haven't done it before, the response, 'Do you see anything on the CV that has been done More than Once?', doesn't go down well. Every project has been different, every time.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by simes View Post
                  It is a shame, and it is bloody frustrating. And not only 'showing a desire', but if the contract duration is over six months, 'having successfully done.'

                  Irrespective of the above conversation (non-tech PMs), when recruiters say that I can't be put forward for something as I haven't done it before, the response, 'Do you see anything on the CV that has been done More than Once?', doesn't go down well. Every project has been different, every time.
                  It’s not you it is the market. I can tell you that financial services in London is well and truly messed up. One person I worked with has been out for nine months and is desperate for work so much so that he is thinking of leaving the Uk

                  I honestly don’t think it will get better either your job is to continue to apply and preserve at finding a job

                  As for the poster previously talking about £12 an hour temp position the mind boggles at what the future holds for contracting if that is true and not a call handler role.

                  Comment


                    this is worse than JtB FFS.
                    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
                    Inertia, however........................

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
                      It’s not you it is the market. I can tell you that financial services in London is well and truly messed up. One person I worked with has been out for nine months and is desperate for work so much so that he is thinking of leaving the Uk

                      I honestly don’t think it will get better either your job is to continue to apply and preserve at finding a job

                      As for the poster previously talking about £12 an hour temp position the mind boggles at what the future holds for contracting if that is true and not a call handler role.
                      I can't see the City returning to any form of normality until people start going back to offices en masse and that is probably spring next year at the earliest. Problem is when the City struggles it tends to take everything else down with it (certainly in London and the South East)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X