• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    I don't think that a hiring manager would want to have people at 75k and people at 35k in the same office. Maybe a 10k discrepancy is ok but it would make is life increasingly more difficult later on when it is find out. And it usually comes out.
    There is probably something else wrong with the role...
    If I was a vindictive hiring manager I would be happy with that. The appraisals would be fun as no-one on 75k could ever win...

Back in the 2000s I spent a while being the most expensive permanent employee - the ways they tried to get rid of me were entertaining to watch and quickly failed as I could out HR HR but it wasn't fun...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      I don't think that a hiring manager would want to have people at 75k and people at 35k in the same office. Maybe a 10k discrepancy is ok but it would make is life increasingly more difficult later on when it is find out. And it usually comes out.
      There is probably something else wrong with the role...
      yes, I think it's obvious they were never going to pay 75k.

Their tactic was just to attract talent worthy of a 75k salary and see how low they can get them for.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Companies know they can get away with £35K. Big IT salaries are a distant memory now. Few will be able to achieve those in future & retain the role for long. Supply & demand & unlimited immigration will do that eventually!!
        I don't think they can get away that easily. We have all seen the quality, skill, knowledge, experience you can get for £35K. And being a perm those £35K's pull in a sickie when it is too much for their level, resulting in delays that management always frown upon.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
          I don't think they can get away that easily. We have all seen the quality, skill, knowledge, experience you can get for £35K. And being a perm those £35K's pull in a sickie when it is too much for their level, resulting in delays that management always frown upon.
          it’s hard to say as today I saw one of my least favourite consultancies advertising a contract job.

the contract would usually be £600 a day but this firm has always been cheapskates so they would try to pay £450 and end up paying £475 or so.

In the current market they are offering £300 and someone will take it and probably screw things up but that's not my problem.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            yes, I think it's obvious they were never going to pay 75k.

Their tactic was just to attract talent worthy of a 75k salary and see how low they can get them for.
            This seems to be the tactic for a lot of companies, which is one of the reasons it takes so bloody long to get anywhere in the process. They are constantly thinking that if they keep it going for a few weeks more, they'll get more and more desperate people who are willing to take peanuts just to get any money in.

Comment

Morning all just want to say how much I appreciate you guys posting in this thread as it's my morning entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                Morning all just want to say how much I appreciate you guys posting in this thread as it's my morning entertainment
                FOG

Comment

whats FOG?

Comment

it's FOOG with an 'O' missing

Comment

Originally posted by jainnode View Post
                      it's FOOG with an 'O' missing
                      FOG
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X