• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    should we be able to add a sarcasm tag to posts so also simpletons like yourself will get it?
    There's no sarcasm there, it's a stupid and infantile statement. The kind I'd expect from a nerd developer if I'm honest.

Perhaps we need a 'moron' tag as well, just for your goodself.
    Last edited by oliverson; 26 August 2020, 11:27.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      There's no sarcasm there. Perhaps we need a 'moron' tag as well, just for your goodself.
      would help you identify morons....you don't seem bright enough to do it yourself so a tag would be for your benefit as well. Keep it up, you're entertaining

Comment

Oh children. Please.

Not today, I'm exhausted.

Comment

Give it a rest people.

Comment

I only wanted peoples views on what 'this' (dev pun intended) September might be like!! A couple of agents I've spoken to seem optimistic but until it results in an outside IR35 contract.......

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              To be fair, before market stimulation occurs, I believe they must wait to see how lock downs being lifted affect Life. Because if we all go back into lock down, I'm not sure what could be done aside from Help to Eat type thrusts.

As for IR35, Boris is a believer in it being in place from April 21 so I'm not sure what 'help' we can expect from his quarter.
              We have enough data now to see that economic activity has collapsed and unemployment figures are dire? Btw, the unemployment figures the government publishes isnt a true representation of unemployment. Doesnt account for Ltd's, self employed, gig economy, shadow economy, sole traders etc.

Comment

September imho just brings on more uncertainty, with kids going back to school and potential local lockdowns being put in place. Don't forget Brexit happening in a few months, that is a huge unknown and I wouldn't be surprised if it causes a freeze on a lot of projects.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                  We have enough data now to see that economic activity has collapsed and unemployment figures are dire? Btw, the unemployment figures the government publishes isnt a true representation of unemployment. Doesnt account for Ltd's, self employed, gig economy, shadow economy, sole traders etc.
                  Indeed, I understand all of that.

What I was unsuccessfully trying to say was that perhaps there needs to be some confidence for people to go out and spend for a manifestly long enough period of time before spending on stimulation. If the spending for such starts too soon and there is very quickly afterwards another lock down, it will be for nought.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                    whats FOG?
                    Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

..To a Dyslexic.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      I only wanted peoples views on what 'this' (dev pun intended) September might be like!! A couple of agents I've spoken to seem optimistic but until it results in an outside IR35 contract.......
                      I would be surprised if we see outside IR35 contracts, particular for larger corporates. Anyone in a contract may get an extension through to next March but only time will tell.

Longer term I expect little more than 10% of the contracting market to see outside IR35 contract post April 2021 and even though those with outside IR35 will be smug, I wouldn't be too comfortable as HMRC will have a much smaller pool to target so for outside IR35 contracts, the due diligence of companies will have to be spot on. If HMRC then targets those companies, expect the pool of outside IR35 contracts to shrink further.

Sadly it's now about the ability to look forward and to make the best of what's coming, just as those in the public sector have had to do since 2017.

Comment

Working...
                      X