• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roles in my discipline at the moment are mostly sitting at a proud £30-£35 per hour most likely inside contracts, assuming you can even find any. Unless you are British (sole passport holder) and SC cleared then perhaps defence might pay you £45-£50ph.

Comment

24% corp tax, nice

Comment

a friend mentioned they had an interview request, but they were only hiring because they had been given a government grant.

One of the rules for that is that it could only be spent on "payroll and not contractors" so anybody who was hired had to go on payroll.

I'd not heard of this before - is it a thing? or just a way of cutting to the chase and saying "Inside or nothing"?

Comment

Maybe of interest for thems looking for a permie role:

Here's who's hiring in the UK | LinkedIn

Comment

Spoke to a few of my good agency contacts over the last few days. They all advised me to take anything that I'm offered in the current market. Unemployment and economic forecasts look horrid too - I don't see this job market materially changing until late spring/summer 2021 tbh. Covid is obviously one issue, but in the UK businesses need to see how Brexit is going to pan out so that they can act accordingly.

Comment

heard about a fully remote contract at £400 pd via recruiter , I told them I'd do it for working 6:30 hrs per day, yet to hear back

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                heard about a fully remote contract at £400 pd via recruiter , I told them I'd do it for working 6:30 hrs per day, yet to hear back
                I probably would have waited to get some interest from the client before I attempted to negotiate (I wouldn't have negotiated in this market)

Comment

In this market, clients may expect you to work 10-12hrs per day and the odd weekend. Employees have zero leverage.

Comment

Why would you say that - the whole point of a fully remote contract is that you bill for the full day while working only part of it - but you never say that aloud.

Oh and I would probably be doing 5 hours for that money not 6:30 (it could probably do it in 3 and be more productive than the competition).
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Why would you say that - the whole point of a fully remote contract is that you bill for the full day while working only part of it - but you never say that aloud.

Oh and I would probably be doing 5 hours for that money not 6:30 (it could probably do it in 3 and be more productive than the competition).
                      brutal honesty \0)

Comment

Working...
                      X