• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    The flip side is that accepting large drops in rate resets the market rate. When covid clears, clients aren't then going to then turn round and say "sorry the rate was lower, going forward we'll whack it back up". The view will be "well, you were happy to work at that rate then...".

Consultancies especially are more concerned about driving their own profits.
    It will be a competitive process between multiple clients trying to secure the same contractor so rates will get bid up. At least for in demand contractors with multiple offers.

If you were ever in a situation where economy was great and your skill set was in demand and on short supply you likely benefited from an above normal market rate situation and likely cashed in on that, why should you be excluded from the down market? Take your cut and deal with post-covid when it's post-covid.

Comment

Weirdest phone call with a pimp ever, he was chasing me after a perm offer which I'm considering as it's some extra skills which would look good on my CV and potentially open up a lot of extra work. He said the recruitment is a two stage process, first video interview with the pimp !? and a technical test.

Wtf? Anyone ever had to interview with a pimp as part of the recruitment process?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
        Weirdest phone call with a pimp ever, he was chasing me after a perm offer which I'm considering as it's some extra skills which would look good on my CV and potentially open up a lot of extra work. He said the recruitment is a two stage process, first video interview with the pimp !? and a technical test.

Wtf? Anyone ever had to interview with a pimp as part of the recruitment process?
        Question 1: give examples of projects you have delivered at each previous client and employer, providing details of the senior manager who makes hiring decisions.

Comment

Yes, it's reasonably common for perm roles and it's more of a screening exercise to ensure they are putting the right candidates in front of the client.

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
            Yes, it's reasonably common for perm roles and it's more of a screening exercise to ensure they are putting the right candidates in front of the client.
            Really can't see any problem with that - if an agency is charging me 20% of the annual salary to recruit someone the very least I would expect for the £xxxk I'm paying is ensuring I don't waste my time interviewing people who are only paper qualified.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
              The flip side is that accepting large drops in rate resets the market rate. When covid clears, clients aren't then going to then turn round and say "sorry the rate was lower, going forward we'll whack it back up". The view will be "well, you were happy to work at that rate then...".

Consultancies especially are more concerned about driving their own profits.
              In that situation people would move to a new gig on a better rate, and that in turn will have a domino effect and increase rates. We can't hold tight and wait for rates to increase again because that will take years.

Most people on this forum appear to be alright for money with a decent war chest but the world of being self-employed stretches way further than this forum. Some people have little savings and will happily take a 50-70% pay cut just to keep ticking. It's inevitable.

Personally I'm more concerned about my CV, it would be good to get something (even on lower pay) just to keep working & racking up experience. And landing a job during a pandemic may look great on the CV, as it shows you're able to get a gig during stiff competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
                Yeah it's very normal in perm job. Actually quite lucky that it's only 2 stages.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  Yeah it's very normal in perm job. Actually quite lucky that it's only 2 stages.
                  Last time I applied properly for a perm role, there was no agency involved, but I had 4 interviews with different people. They then asked for a fifth and at that point I said no thanks.

Comment

You do get these but as mentioned, they are mostly for permy roles. Any pimp that has tried this on with me I point to the clients I have worked with and how long I've been freelance. If they push it I tell them to jog on.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Last time I applied properly for a perm role, there was no agency involved, but I had 4 interviews with different people. They then asked for a fifth and at that point I said no thanks.
                      Unless it is for fco/government/military roles, any more than two interviews is taking the pee.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X