• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donald Trump signs new immigration crackdown for rest of year | Daily Mail Online
    UK should do the same thing ASAP!!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      We don't need to. Companies can just outsource even more to India et al.

Comment

Sure, stop immigration and see how long the NHS and care sector lasts then when you have finished that try and buy a coffee in central London.

Most people from abroad who work in IT do it through the consultancy firms now. Basically we are training everyone else's future experts and ignoring our own but that isn't because of some left wing global view, it's because big companies want to make more money.

Also throw in clients can just commission projects abroad and have few if any physical resource in the UK.

Comment

I'm seeing increased activity in London banking / full stack developer contracts, two approaches today. I'm really not looking to start anything until September at the earliest so I'm hoping the recovery continues.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            I'm seeing increased activity in London banking / full stack developer contracts, two approaches today. I'm really not looking to start anything until September at the earliest so I'm hoping the recovery continues.
            If an old fella like you can find work, there's hope for the rest of us.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Is the correct answer. Despite what people say about the NHS and carers and maybe other sectors if necessary, checks and balances can be put in place to protect British workers where necessary.

I love it how some people on here bemoan the lack of jobs and contract roles in IT now but then throw their arms in the air and wail when you suggest stopping or cutting the number of non British workers stealing that work.

Not long ago there were 3 IT non UK professionals given full residency and work visas because their 9 year old son was very good at chess and could become a world champion. Say what? No wonder UK IT professionals are finding job hunting 'difficult.'

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                Is the correct answer. Despite what people say about the NHS and carers and maybe other sectors if necessary, checks and balances can be put in place to protect British workers where necessary.

I love it how some people on here bemoan the lack of jobs and contract roles in IT now but then throw their arms in the air and wail when you suggest stopping or cutting the number of non British workers stealing that work.

Not long ago there were 3 IT non UK professionals given full residency and work visas because their 9 year old son was very good at chess and could become a world champion. Say what? No wonder UK IT professionals are finding job hunting 'difficult.'
                That was one exception involving three people. Visas aren't given out for Contractors anymore (I know that because in my last contract I replaced someone who didn't have the correct Visa).

However I would agree we need a managed immigration system and employers need to be told to get real about salary offers before they can sponsor a work permit.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                  We don't need to. Companies can just outsource even more to India et al.
                  Let them do that then no need for them to be UK based anymore! But they do not want to relocate as UK is so easy for them right now!! They want all the benefits of being based in the UK but refuse to pay competitive salaries to UK born IT workers...

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

The trouble is, for all the bravdo, big companies just cheap out at every turn. Limit the supply of cheap workers coming here and they will just offshore even more work, not magically start paying decent rates/salaries.

Comment

Had 2 agency calls for 2 different clients, 2 client phone interviews, one of them wanted a final phone discussion with the Architect. Now both of them have been verbally confirmed, contracts expected by this evening or tomorrow. Market is not completely dead after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X