• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    Being managed by someone born in the year 2000
    Funnily enough, I'm one of the younger people at my client.

Comment

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
      I think not abandoning IR35 will be utterly disastrous for this country, at a time when this country now more than ever needs flexible work and less bureaucracy, continuing with this flawed idea and policy would finally prove this governments agenda.
      Anyway keep voting Tory.
      Yes, we do need a flexible workforce and the IR35 reforms are seriously flawed but a legal framework must be in place at some point to prevent disguised employment. There has to be a distinction between a contractor paid a daily rate picking up user stories from an agile board and another paid on deliverables wfh on a distinct piece of development. It isn't all that unusual for someone to leave a permanent job and work as a contractor for years at the same business, I don't think these people should be out of work, I do think they should be perm.

Comment

You are confusing the strength of response to the outbreak with the actual severity of the outbreak.

Following your logic, Turkmenistan, who banned wearing masks and the word "coronovirus" because it "doesn't exist" is the safest place to be

Check out the number of new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in United Kingdom and China:

Coronavirus tracked: has your country’s epidemic peaked? | Free to read | Financial Times

Comment

Originally posted by GreenT View Post
          You are confusing the strength of response to the outbreak with the actual severity of the outbreak.

Following your logic, Turkmenistan, who banned wearing masks and the word "coronovirus" because it "doesn't exist" is the safest place to be

Check out the number of new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in United Kingdom and China:

Coronavirus tracked: has your country’s epidemic peaked? | Free to read | Financial Times
          How about UK vs France. The UK has over double the amount of new cases compared to France. However, we are conducting three times the amount of tests! All these country comparisons are meaningless.

Comment

why do you want to compare UK and France when the question is UK vs Far East?

On a separate note, to address your distrust in data you can compare the number of excess deaths (that are not affected by covid testing numbers).

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            How about UK vs France. The UK has over double the amount of new cases compared to France. However, we are conducting three times the amount of tests! All these country comparisons are meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by pictavia View Post
              There has to be a distinction between a contractor paid a daily rate picking up user stories from an agile board and another paid on deliverables wfh on a distinct piece of development. It isn't all that unusual for someone to leave a permanent job and work as a contractor for years at the same business, I don't think these people should be out of work, I do think they should be perm.
              Aren't employees also working from home? Don't you think that true contractor's company should be renting legitimate office with a secretary, cleaner and security?

Do you think that if one company has a long term relationship with another company then somehow they need to be connected by an employment contract?

If contractor takes his or hers deliverables and puts them on the board, does he or she become disguised perm?

Should employees also pay for the tools, training and insurance and enjoy no employment rights?

Comment

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
                I think not abandoning IR35 will be utterly disastrous for this country, at a time when this country now more than ever needs flexible work and less bureaucracy, continuing with this flawed idea and policy would finally prove this governments agenda.
                I think you are mistaken. IR35 creates work as flexible as it gets and is extremely simple. Company when creating a role just needs to make sure the contract states where worker should do their job, severely limit the ability to provide substitute and add vague deliverables and then get an intermediary that will deduct tax at source. Bureaucracy is very minimal for roles inside IR35. It only gets complicated when you want to take someone on board on an outside basis - but why would you do that.

Comment

Originally posted by pictavia View Post
                  Yes, we do need a flexible workforce and the IR35 reforms are seriously flawed but a legal framework must be in place at some point to prevent disguised employment. There has to be a distinction between a contractor paid a daily rate picking up user stories from an agile board and another paid on deliverables wfh on a distinct piece of development. It isn't all that unusual for someone to leave a permanent job and work as a contractor for years at the same business, I don't think these people should be out of work, I do think they should be perm.
                  the old rule about no more than 2 years at one site covered that.

biggest problem with IR35 is that lots of contractors are mainly in competition with people from the consultancies and outsourcers.

people working for the outsourcers and consultancies can claim hotels, travel etc tax free, where IR35 forces independents to pay for hotels and travel out of taxed income. this is a massive distortion of the market to help the outsourcers and consultancies (who no doubt helped write the rules)

not to mention a lot of the people from the outsourcers and consultancies are on work visas and get other tax perks like 1st 12 months in the UK free of both employers and employees national insurance. again rules written by the consultancies to help them tilt the playing field when in competition with independents.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    the old rule about no more than 2 years at one site covered that.
                    Do you mean that small companies should be excluded from larger scale projects?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenT View Post

Good luck working in HSBC Tower in your full hazmat suit for social distancing measures!

Comment

Working...
                      X