• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    Can I ask an impertinent question?

Will the tax you pay from your perm role equate to the tax you paid while as a contractor?
    To be honest I don't know, but as a limited company is more efficient than PAYE, I guess I will pay more % tax, however as I am earning significantly less money than I did as a contractor the actual tax to pay will be far less.

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
      To be honest I don't know, but as a limited company is more efficient than PAYE, I guess I will pay more % tax, however as I am earning significantly less money than I did as a contractor the actual tax to pay will be far less.
      Many thanks for answering.

What I was inferring from my question was a worst case scenario; if all contractors go permanent;

1. HMRC won't actually earn themselves Any more tax.
      2. All HMRC will have achieved is to wreck a perfectly working mobile workforce model.

(And since elsewhere, Londonmanc has today deemed that every post should contain a question, can I ask what colour your car is?)

Comment

IR35 is aimed more at people like Eamon Holmes & Footballers earning million rather than IT contractors! Just a shame HMRC refuse to treat IT contractors differently!
        Eamonn Holmes faces a GBP250k bill after losing his tax case | Daily Mail Online
        Last edited by uk contractor; 25 February 2020, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          IR35 is aimed more at people like Eamon Holmes & Footballers earning million rather than IT contractors! Just a shame HMCR refuse to treat IT contractors differently!
          Eamonn Holmes faces a GBP250k bill after losing his tax case | Daily Mail Online
          One victim at £250k, or 10s of thousands of victims at £10K each?

HMRC know where their bread's buttered.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            One victim at £250k, or 10s of thousands of victims at £10K each?

HMRC know where their bread's buttered.

HMRC know that chasing your typical IT contractor wasn't worth it - that's why they've changed the rules.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              HMRC know that chasing your typical IT contractor wasn't worth it - that's why they've changed the rules.
              It's the same catch, just a different net.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                IR35 is aimed more at people like Eamon Holmes & Footballers earning million rather than IT contractors! Just a shame HMRC refuse to treat IT contractors differently!
                That's the PR that HMRC would like everyone to believe. High earning TV Presenters and Footballers who have avoided tax won't get much public sympathy. (And neither will IT contractors, or any other perceived tax avoiders who aren't "paying their fair share", but IT contractors etc aren't the headline grabbing stories) So public perception of Tax Avoiders = millionaires
                Last edited by NeedTheSunshine; 25 February 2020, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                  That's the PR that HMRC would like everyone to believe. High earning TV Presenters and Footballers who have avoided tax won't get much public sympathy. (And neither will IT contractors, or any other perceived tax avoiders who aren't "paying their fair share", but IT contractors etc aren't the headline grabbing stories) So public perception of Tax Avoiders = millionaires
                  Very well said. Perfect

Comment

Hi from the bench

Completed my last project on Friday - after working on back to back contracts for the last 12 months.

Feeling energised but unsure what to do next - pretty much like most of us I reckon - due to the infamous IR35. Although my expertise lies firmly outside of IR35 the blanket decisions by clients does have an effect....

I've had 4 interviews already this week, mixed of perm and FTC. I also work on a few other leads.

Warchest is fairly healthy so can burn about a year - however that's not what I want to do! plus getting bored when out of work.

I'm London based and its a nice day (dry)

Anyone else around?

Comment

Originally posted by Lilibet View Post
                      Completed my last project on Friday - after working on back to back contracts for the last 12 months.

Feeling energised but unsure what to do next - pretty much like most of us I reckon - due to the infamous IR35. Although my expertise lies firmly outside of IR35 the blanket decisions by clients does have an effect....

I've had 4 interviews already this week, mixed of perm and FTC. I also work on a few other leads.

Warchest is fairly healthy so can burn about a year - however that's not what I want to do! plus getting bored when out of work.

I'm London based and its a nice day (dry)

Anyone else around?
                      Why burn your warchest when you can take an FTC to ride out the shizstorm? Plus if that's the future direction of contracting, you get a taste of it early on to see whether you want it or you head for a consultancy as a perm or opt for Plan X?
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X