• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, after a rather unsettled 2018-2020 I have closed my limited company and taken a permie role. Pay is a bit crap, but I can work from home three days a week and I am learning some new skills too.

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
      Well, after a rather unsettled 2018-2020 I have closed my limited company and taken a permie role. Pay is a bit crap, but I can work from home three days a week and I am learning some new skills too.
      Can I ask an impertinent question?

Will the tax you pay from your perm role equate to the tax you paid while as a contractor?

Comment

Most likely I will just go permie now. Been out of work a couple of months. The market is dire. I have a bit of money set aside but have never seen the market this bad in over 20 years of contracting. None of my contacts have anything and most are in the same boat. Most of my previous contracts have been renewals or referrals. The decent jobs that come up have a deluge of people apply. Had a few interviews for roles but they are being picky or driving down rates.

I've become sick of trying to deal with a government policy trying to bend things to suit them and the worry and expense of running a company in the UK. I've had to lay off others whose wages were subsidised by my earnings. Any chance of growing a business here is dead. I've found with permie jobs advertised that at my age (late 40's) and despite experience and skills which are up to date and marketable, there is a distrust of contractors going permie, they are ageist and want younger career minded people and the salaries are worse than I was being offered over 15 years ago. This is the reality. Too many people available on the market and it's getting worse by the week.

For most of us, contracting gave us the drive to get a variety of work and do better. It made us work hard to keep clients happy and get repeat work. It helped us get on the housing ladder and to support having family but we can't all retire to the south of France on a pot of cash now contracting is pretty much finished. I need to find work and although not yet desperate the options to continue contracting are very few unless you have niche skills which are in high demand and you want to continue to play HMRC's game. It's not worth it for my health or my families.

If nothing comes up in the next couple of months then it will be an entire career change to do something else which pays a few quid which is a pity as I think I'm very good at what I do. If anyone has anything positive to say about the state of the market then I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBenchin2020 View Post
          If anyone has anything positive to say about the state of the market then I'm all ears.
          It could get a lot worse if aside from Italy there will be another one or two countries that develop COV cases.
          It will be a full market panic, quarantine, borders closed, layoffs. This week is crucial to see if the initial panic from yesterday extends.
          The upside being that market situation will become the least of our concerns.

It is true, managers do not see contractors with good eyes when they try to go perm. It is my impression as well that everyone is looking for a superstar at a discount atm. What they are probably thinking that anyone that is aware of their worth will jump ship with first opportunity. Probably the reason they do not consider contractors in the first place and only the corporate numpties brainwashed into submission.

Silver lining is that the contractor lifestyle has developed better survival skills in us. Stronger analytical skills and awareness during critical times. We are more likely to land on our feet whatever happens further. We’ll get over this.

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
            for what it's worth I have taken a fixed term contract as it's close to home to ride out the next few months. Market looks terrible. It was bad back in Sept when I started looking when I was in contract, Dec was dead, it perked up a bit after Brexit, but now it's dead again, in fact it's worse!

Am glad to have something to tide me over until the summer! Then can have summer off if I can't find anything, hopefully nail something in autumn

Comment

Feels like 2008 again
              Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
                Feels like 2008 again
                More like late 2000/01...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Permanent job - change in direction - sadly it didn't work out.

Umbrella - just another contract so continuation of current trade...
                  I politely disagree.

Umbrella - change in market attitudes given roll out of IR35 to private, then back to "normal" 18 months later after the whole fuss dies down and private sector learn more about IR35.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It's alright lads. We're going to be quids-in with all these bods leaving the market.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      More like late 2000/01...

Let put into dr who perspective

2000/20001 was Colin Baker
                      2008 was Sylvester McCoy
                      Now is Jodie Whittaker

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X