• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Doesn't this get to the nub of the problem for end clients over the years. While contractors have had an option to contract, why would you even consider going permanent? Remove contracting as a viable option and hey presto, people will eventually have to turn to permanent work. Ok, even if someone has a large warchest, it's only a matter of time before they'll be forced to find work unless they've got other means of income. This is very similar to the Keynes(?) quote about markets - Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. This is going to be a war of attrition, one which I fear HMRC/HMT are only ever going to win.
    I have been looking for reference to permanent probation time limits.
    Apparently, a company can put a new employee up to 20 months probation, before there are legally considered full employees.
    Does anyone here have a link to this legislation / employment rule?

This is interesting now, because I am considering interviewing for a IT consultancy who just informed me that they are no longer hiring new contractors for the foreseeable. It is another business who putting blanket IR35 for their existing contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
      I'm curious as to why these roles with ridiculously low rates are suddenly showing up.
      1.Clients trying to drive rates down
      2.Excuse to use ICT because of "skills shortage"

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
        I have been looking for reference to permanent probation time limits.
        Apparently, a company can put a new employee up to 20 months probation, before there are legally considered full employees.
        Does anyone here have a link to this legislation / employment rule?

This is interesting now, because I am considering interviewing for a IT consultancy who just informed me that they are no longer hiring new contractors for the foreseeable. It is another business who putting blanket IR35 for their existing contractors.
        Probation is pretty meaningless really. You don't get the right to claim unfair dismissal at a tribunal until you have been a permie for 24 months (unless it's on the grounds of discrimination), so you can be fired at will and without any proper explanation or process at any point until 24 months.

Checking your employment rights | Acas

Comment

sorry about duplicate post - tried to delete without success.
          Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 3 January 2020, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            I find this a bit far fetched. If permie resources were so readily available, why would the client commission contractors in the first place? Isn't it a bit of wishful thinking to suggest that contractors all be replaced by permies and that's it, problem goes away? Companies been trying/hoping for that for decades.
            Permie resources were never readily available, anyone with half a brain and some skills went contracting as it paid more with less tax or at least the ability to save up some extra cash because you don't have to pay yourself a huge monthly salary if you don't need it. It was an employee / contractors market, now it's turning into an employers market where they dictate the rules by simply forcing everyone into PAYE. Before you had a choice to walk away from permie roles and into clients who accepted the fact that they need to take on contractors if they want the work done. Now with most companies rejecting contractors altogether your bag of non-PAYE options is shrinking mighty fast.

Comment

Anyone with half a brain will not stay on 50-60k especially in London. 3-3.5k will only pass through your account.
              Unless your partner has the same you will barely manage. Without kids in the equation.
              A 2 bed in a non-stabby area, without bills is 1.5k.
              People will start voting with their feet, go to US, Europe or other countries that offer a more fair lifestyle, better weather etc.
              Goodbye to workforce mobility as well, anyone on 3k considering to relocate 100mi away will see that 1k is not worth it in travel, relocation costs and hassle dealing with it.

Unless they cut employment laws and stir the rat race economy but than your only hope is a work visa somewhere else. Hopefully Portugal still do those investment visas and your warchest is big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                Anyone with half a brain will not stay on 50-60k especially in London. 3-3.5k will only pass through your account.
                Unless your partner has the same you will barely manage. Without kids in the equation.
                A 2 bed in a non-stabby area, without bills is 1.5k.
                People will start voting with their feet, go to US, Europe or other countries that offer a more fair lifestyle, better weather etc.
                Goodbye to workforce mobility as well, anyone on 3k considering to relocate 100mi away will see that 1k is not worth it in travel, relocation costs and hassle dealing with it.

Unless they cut employment laws and stir the rat race economy but than your only hope is a work visa somewhere else. Hopefully Portugal still do those investment visas and your warchest is big enough.
                Why get on a plane and move to another country if you don't even know your own? Maybe 50-60 is peanuts in London but it is plenty outside the South East and a few hotspots like Edinburgh.

I've seen a lot of the world, Europe, the US, Australia and Asia. People don't realise what they've got in the UK, sure the weather can be crap but neither is it severe. Some of the provincial cities outside of London e.g. Bristol, York, Leeds, Newcastle offer outstanding quality of life.

Maybe this is the end of contracting but it isn't the end of the UK, you can't beat being in a beautiful, prosperous country surrounded by your friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
                  Life of any contractor mate.

You IT guys ain't nuttin special!
                  Our salaries are or were!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Short term "boomed" for me - extension until end of March, also seem to have landed two bits of work for a US company too - I have been very lucky, I reckon.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                      Why get on a plane and move to another country if you don't even know your own? Maybe 50-60 is peanuts in London but it is plenty outside the South East and a few hotspots like Edinburgh.

I've seen a lot of the world, Europe, the US, Australia and Asia. People don't realise what they've got in the UK, sure the weather can be crap but neither is it severe. Some of the provincial cities outside of London e.g. Bristol, York, Leeds, Newcastle offer outstanding quality of life.

Maybe this is the end of contracting but it isn't the end of the UK, you can't beat being in a beautiful, prosperous country surrounded by your friends and family.
                      The weather is the killer though. The older I get, the more gruelling the winters seem to get.

Will be off to sunnier climes as soon as its feasible.

Comment

Working...
                      X