• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    My week has not been fun at all.

Monday, I had a phone interview cancelled from a former bank ultimate client S, because I had worked with them 2 years ago.
    I didn't read in the job specification anything like "previous applicants or contractors need not apply" words to that affect.
    This first job was lucrative because it was happening in Central London. Rates are better in the big smoke.

Tuesday, I had an Indian agent call up about a different role at the same bank ultimate client S. It was INSIDE 35 due to new tax rules coming in April. The rate was already low in my provincial town/city. INSIDE 35 and PAYE would make it even less worthwhile. When I said no, I was interviewing

I had a second prospect, a media publisher, who had a good project. The agent sent the job spec about 10 days ago and it was tentative because this client was taking time to review CVs. Wednesday, the agent called me and said he client eventually pulled role due to budget reasons. FFS!

On Tuesday, I went down to London for a F2F interview for a third prospect. This prospect had work in London and occasionally trips to Guildford. This Thursday, morning, I found out that I lost out to another candidate. The agent does not know the feedback, but will try to track it down, he promised. FFS!!!

This is the true state of the market: multiple kicks in your b******ck (or f***y) for weeks.

I searching for my next new gig since the middle of October, whilst I had 1 month notice in my last gig. Concerning is just cutting a description this morning.
    Unfortunately gigs getting canned due to budget pressure is an occupational hazard, particularly at certain times in the typical annual budget cycle where business functions, including IT, are requested to top slice their budget.

I sympathise with you, I had three really good opportunities fall through earlier this year, two of them were practically shoo-ins. It's a good sign that you are getting interviews and unfortunately, sometimes another candidate is a better fit in the client's eyes. No interviews would be more of a concern. You just have to be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Well I’ve been a contractor for almost seven years...

I think reference to what’s happening in e.g. permanent recruitment is relevant given the wider context of recent events like Brexit and the election as it might give some insight into wider hiring trends.

Or you can just ignore it ?
      Yeah, I know.

I think had it not been for hairymouse's 'volunteer job' ad, I wouldn't have bitten. Just couldn't resist once that was added to the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
        My week has not been fun at all.

Monday, I had a phone interview cancelled from a former bank ultimate client S, because I had worked with them 2 years ago.
        I didn't read in the job specification anything like "previous applicants or contractors need not apply" words to that affect.
        This first job was lucrative because it was happening in Central London. Rates are better in the big smoke.

Tuesday, I had an Indian agent call up about a different role at the same bank ultimate client S. It was INSIDE 35 due to new tax rules coming in April. The rate was already low in my provincial town/city. INSIDE 35 and PAYE would make it even less worthwhile. When I said no, I was interviewing for a big rates in Central London. He just wasn't having anything it. He begged me, "what is the lowest rate that you do it for?"

I had a second prospect, a media publisher, who had a good project. The agent sent the job spec about 10 days ago and it was tentative because this client was taking time to review CVs. Wednesday, the agent called me and said he client eventually pulled role due to budget reasons. FFS!

On Tuesday, I went down to London for a F2F interview for a third prospect. This prospect had work in London and occasionally trips to Guildford. This Thursday, morning, I found out that I lost out to another candidate. The agent does not know the feedback, but will try to track it down, he promised. FFS!!!

This is the true state of the market: multiple kicks in your b******ck (or f***y) for weeks.

I searching for my next new gig since the middle of October, whilst I had 1 month notice in my last gig. Concerning is just cutting a description this morning.
        i had 2 interviews this week both confirmed by email telephone interviews.
        neither one turned up, i had only myself to interview.

if its any comfort neither one was a proper gig outside ir35.

Comment

I'm with eek. Have Christmas off.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by na764 View Post
            i had only myself to interview.
            Did you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by iainb View Post
              Did you get it?
              Should have sent the minutes of the interview call to the agent.

"It was unanimously agreed that na764 LTD should be granted the contract. When it was proposed that the contract fall 'outside IR35' according to the pre-completed CEST assessment on behalf of the client, there was no challenge and was thusly agreed without amendment."
              Last edited by CheeseSlice; 20 December 2019, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                I'm with eek. Have Christmas off.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                Merry Christmas to the Suity clan.

Comment

Ran my 1st JobServe search of the year

Zero jobs for me to apply for

Will stay away on holiday a bit longer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Short term "boomed" for me - extension until end of March, also seem to have landed two bits of work for a US company too - I have been very lucky, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Ran my 1st JobServe search of the year

Zero jobs for me to apply for

Will stay away on holiday a bit longer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      Do you really think anything would be organised in the two week fallow that is Christmas and the New Year - heck Scotland don't even go back until tomorrow.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X