• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok fellas. Consider me learned.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Ok fellas. Consider me learned.
      from what i have seen of agile and scrum masters, plenty of work to be had in the next 10 years project managing the ‘agile transformation’ cleanup activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
        from what i have seen of agile and scrum masters, plenty of work to be had in the next 10 years project managing the ‘agile transformation’ cleanup activities.
        Yup, plenty of clients are asking for Scrum Masters instead of Project Managers "because Agile" and not actually realising what they need.

Many still want that Scrum Master do the PM role alongside the Scrum Master role, or wrongly assume all those PM activities have disappeared and then panic later when they realise no-one is looking after the mandatory governance activities.

I've also seen first hand where clients have mapped their PMs to Scrum Masters. The result is that things are effectively run as Waterfall projects but the plan is artificially split into sprints so that everyone can play along and use agile terminology.
        Last edited by Paralytic; 7 October 2019, 08:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          slightly off topic but after 11 years of scrum I can only conclude that it is the biggest pile of tulip going. Something that started out lightweight has become a monstrous process far more convoluted than traditional processes. Bring back waterfall, proper project management and upfront analysis/design. In the said 11 year period I've had two projects that weren't cursed by it. Both had MS Word documents detailing the actual requirements and design. What a joy to code to and something for the testers to test against. Both delivered on time and within budget. Go waterfall!

Comment

Dead Market for the next 3 weeks I predict. Everyone now watching Brexit

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
              slightly off topic but after 11 years of scrum I can only conclude that it is the biggest pile of tulip going. Something that started out lightweight has become a monstrous process far more convoluted than traditional processes. Bring back waterfall, proper project management and upfront analysis/design. In the said 11 year period I've had two projects that weren't cursed by it. Both had MS Word documents detailing the actual requirements and design. What a joy to code to and something for the testers to test against. Both delivered on time and within budget. Go waterfall!
              Good money spinner for outsourced scrum teams, whole team delivers 10 line program change - high fives all round. Management happy as it says 130 points delivered

Agree with above

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
                Dead Market for the next 3 weeks I predict. Everyone now watching Brexit
                Or, forever?

Comment

Originally posted by Hat1rmathA View Post
                  Or, forever?
                  Hope for the best, prepare for the worse.

I personally think there will be a way around it. The industry is too big to be killed stone dead.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
                    Hope for the best, prepare for the worse.

I personally think there will be a way around it. The industry is too big to be killed stone dead.
                    I agree, contracting won't die but it'll take quite some time to recover and probably won't be the same.

I forecast at least 6 months of dead quiet market, maybe 12.

Permanent market will be booming though.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                      I agree, contracting won't die but it'll take quite some time to recover and probably won't be the same.

I forecast at least 6 months of dead quiet market, maybe 12.

Permanent market will be booming though.
                      I think this will come down to the IR35 implementation. They delayed the reverse charge back largely aimed at Construction Contractors so I am hoping something might come along in IR35 as well.

Budget and Brexit are crucial announcements to where we are going.

Comment

Working...
                      X