• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advise on contracting in August?

I'm thinking of making the switch to contracting soon, but am having second thoughts after seeing this thread. I got told it's easier to leave the permie job before looking for a contract (because contracts don't wait), but that means it'll be August by the time I serve the notice period.

Not sure if this is a great idea, but I really needed a change in project due to various reasons, do you guys think the market will pick up much in September?

My background is technical (dev lead in consultancy, 10+ years in Java, past few years on AWS/IBM Cloud/Docker, worked on UI a bit in Node.js a bit to help out the team but won't say it's up to professional level).

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSss View Post
      I'm thinking of making the switch to contracting soon, but am having second thoughts after seeing this thread. I got told it's easier to leave the permie job before looking for a contract (because contracts don't wait), but that means it'll be August by the time I serve the notice period.

Not sure if this is a great idea, but I really needed a change in project due to various reasons, do you guys think the market will pick up much in September?

My background is technical (dev lead in consultancy, 10+ years in Java, past few years on AWS/IBM Cloud/Docker, worked on UI a bit in Node.js a bit to help out the team but won't say it's up to professional level).
      What I would do is look on the popular contract job sites and start sending your CV to agencies and try and get an interview for currently available contracts. That will give you an insight of how easy or not it will be to get a contract and much less risky than being out of a job while trying to find work. Worse case you get offered a contract and then have to decide how to deal with job notice period or declining the contract.

No one can say for sure if the market will improve later in the year as there are so many factors that it's always going to be guesswork based on historical data and experience. The past doesn't predict the future and I wouldn't be going 'all in' on such uncertainties.

If you can afford to have 6 months or so of no income then you are in a better position to risk jumping first (leaving job without a contract) than if you need regular income to pay the mortgage and bills.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I agree previous form is no guarantee of what will happen next but we are a few weeks away from the Summer holidays when things tend to go quiet in the best of markets and in my experience this isn't the best of markets at the moment (admittedly others might be having a better time of it).

Would be tempted to hold tight and have a look when the schools are back in September.

Comment

Not the best time to look for a contract, especially if you're in London.

London Bankers Brace for Summer Gloom With Thousands of Job Cuts
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

This has been going on for ages though many of the trade floors I used to work on have a fraction of the previous headcount (both back & front office). Its not going to get better either if anything the cuts will become more savage as automation in Trading removes the need for up to 20 support staff (admin & IT) per Trader who gets replaced by automation.

Comment

What happens in the City tends to have a massive influence on every other sector (at least it certainly does in London and the South East).

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Haven't contracted at an investment bank since 2014 now and have no desire to return. What a dreadful industry.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  I agree previous form is no guarantee of what will happen next but we are a few weeks away from the Summer holidays when things tend to go quiet in the best of markets and in my experience this isn't the best of markets at the moment (admittedly others might be having a better time of it).

Would be tempted to hold tight and have a look when the schools are back in September.
                  True, the holiday season brings a natural lull but as with investments the best time to enter the market is almost always now. No point trying to time it, if you want work then go and get it.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    What I would do is look on the popular contract job sites and start sending your CV to agencies and try and get an interview for currently available contracts.
                    It would be nice if you could dip a toe like that, but any agent will put this in the filing cabinet on the floor unless the notice period has been worked or is close to completing. In other words, there may well be zero takers later on, but there will almost certainly be zero takers when attempting to dip a toe.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Next year will be fine. Do not do this this year.

I am good until Feb. many others in team not so lucky and got their letters last week. It is Carnage out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X