• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Had a couple of CV submissions which sounded genuine just before the Christmas break. Waiting to hear back... I think applying in December is tricky because the hiring managers have other priorities like finishing their Christmas shopping, making sure the other half has everything they need in the kitchen so they don't get earache, etc. etc.
    That and that, past a certain point, there's no point bringing someone in while work is winding down for the year then there's a 2 week contractor holiday...
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Just had an early sniff that would have involved a rate cut (which I could have taken) and being in IR35 (which I couldn't). In fairness the agent was upfront about it.

Onwards.

Comment

Permiedom's not cutting it for me (YANCOTBAP) so keeping en eye out.

Hearing all the talk of "IR35 in private sector", most of which is guff... tempted just to use umbrella companies should I return to contracting. Less money than Ltd, sure, but tbh I was getting fed up of running a ltd anyway.

So the question would thus be, given money isn't an issue which approach would people favour based upon the prevailing wind - ltd or umbrella?

Comment

The thing about the whole 'IR35 in the public/private sector' thing is that the onus shifts from the employee to client (or indeed, employer as it may transpire). This is important to note as it isn't the same as 'all public sector work is now inside IR35', or private down the road.

Whilst some public sector orgs will rule their contracts IN to reduce hassle, if your working practises and contract aren't truly outside IR35 and you're private sector, then that's a problem for you today, not tomorrow.

Have seen a few public sector contracts that they've judged to be outside IR35 too.

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
          Permiedom's not cutting it for me (YANCOTBAP) so keeping en eye out.

Hearing all the talk of "IR35 in private sector", most of which is guff... tempted just to use umbrella companies should I return to contracting. Less money than Ltd, sure, but tbh I was getting fed up of running a ltd anyway.

So the question would thus be, given money isn't an issue which approach would people favour based upon the prevailing wind - ltd or umbrella?
          Ltd - the 'own company' thing scares people off for the expense of about 30 minutes a month and a bit of easily picked up knowledge.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            The thing about the whole 'IR35 in the public/private sector' thing is that the onus shifts from the employee to client (or indeed, employer as it may transpire). This is important to note as it isn't the same as 'all public sector work is now inside IR35', or private down the road.

Whilst some public sector orgs will rule their contracts IN to reduce hassle, if your working practises and contract aren't truly outside IR35 and you're private sector, then that's a problem for you today, not tomorrow.

Have seen a few public sector contracts that they've judged to be outside IR35 too.

Ltd - the 'own company' thing scares people off for the expense of about 30 minutes a month and a bit of easily picked up knowledge.
            Yeah, I know most of that tbh just hadn't really kept up with the contract scene last few months.

Did make mistakes when running ltd before, nothing can't be learnt from. With regards to working practises the reality is not client don't know about all that nor do they care for the most part. I was thinking more along the lines that umbrella would be certainly viable given even after PAYE/Tax would be on quite a bit more than getting now. Wouldn't have to worry about IR35 that way.

I guess I'm just interested in getting some thoughts.

Comment

Most of the government roles I’ve seen advertised have been outside IR35

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                Most of the government roles I’ve seen advertised have been outside IR35
                Well, as has been pointed out saying it's outside isn't the same as working practises.

it's difficult to tell which way things will go.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                  Well, as has been pointed out saying it's outside isn't the same as working practises.

it's difficult to tell which way things will go.
                  But if it’s government then it’s public sector. Which means it’s not your problem.

If they determine the role outside then they are liable for any tax liability if you are deemed inside.

Comment

Could I have some advice on how to price myself please?

I've recently done a contract on what I thought was a high rate for a mid software dev but I have no idea if that was a lucky shot or fairly standard? How do you chaps figure out the correct rate in the current market?

I keep meeting contract recruiters trying to push £350/day but I also noticed the same people try to push £35k for a permie dev which I know is low in my region. Tips and tricks appreciated.

I'm .NET with 4 years experience, South West and financial services background if anyone is able to chip in.

Comment

Coming up to my 12 months here at the Bank in Ireland, started to put my CV out as contractors don't usually get extended beyond a year.

It was like the old days, iPhone (Orange MR-1 back then) hot than the sun. Rates aren't fantastic but ok, and will rise as more and more finance stuff moves from London. It's like a Bladerunner exterior set at the IFSC in Dublin 1, all the cranes have Christmas lights on them, not cheap ones, like huge neon strips along the jibs. Looks dead cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X