• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this happen a couple of times now, one back in my permanent days and once as a contractor. You have an interview with a test lead, which in all three examples for me has been a woman, and their boss. You get on ok with the manager but come across as a threat to the test lead.

It is a tightrope walk between selling yourself in an interview and sounding like you know it all.

Alternatively I am crap.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      Alternatively I am crap.
      perhaps you're just expensive.
      At my last 2 contracts the testers have been quite large teams of Indians. Great for volume of testing, not so great for quality of interpretation of test results. So if you're not trying to be a test lead you're maybe competing with the low cost Indian teams.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        I am perfectly aware of that. What seems to happen is a lot of entirely unrelated client requirements for a contractor happen at once.
        When I am out of contract, it can take a few months to get the next gig. By the time I'm ready to sign the next contract though, I usually have three offers from three different sources and have to make a decision.

When it rains, it pours, and quite often it is buyers' market until it isn't (when I'm finally selected, it's probably because clients are now ready to scrape the bottom of the barrel :-) ). I know my CV probably pops up on most agents' searches when the appropriate roles are released, as I am usually contacted by at least three, and sometimes as many as 10(!), agencies.

Comment

Hoping the market bounces back after Xmas. Been months since I took a role, I aint dropping my rate.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
            Hoping the market bounces back after Xmas. Been months since I took a role, I aint dropping my rate.
            Do agents not avoid you if you have a break?

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              Agents will call the most suitable candidates they find on their system. That means it could be you after a break, assuming other (say more recently contracted) candidates aren't available...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I avoid agents

Comment

I'd be surprised by that comment from any other poster :
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'd be surprised by that comment from any other poster :
                    Agents are numpties. Even if you have been contracting chocablock for years, they still want to know 'what ya been up to' since the last one ended. Ya'll are deluded if you think breaks aren't a disadvantage in these competitive times.

Comment

Agents are numpties. Even if you have been contracting chocablock for years, they still want to know 'what ya been up to' since the last one ended. Ya'll are deluded if you think breaks aren't a disadvantage in these competitive times.
                      So why did you need to ask?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X