• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Diktat from Brussels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Hopeless, isn't it.

We don't have or need a deal with Eire, we're all in the EU custom union.

When we aren't in the EU custom union we could make a deal with Eire, but we can't since the EU won't let them.

So why the f*** is it our problem to come up with a solution? And preferably one that doesn't secede Northern Ireland from the UK.

Pointless arguing really, I'll leave you to it.
    It's our problem to come up with a solution because we're the ones who are leaving and changing the current situation. EU rules, which the UK helped create, are very clear yet now we don't want to be part of the EU we want them to change their rules (which we created) to suit our needs (cake and eat it).

A hard border isn't an EU problem, it's a UK problem. It's us who don't want the hard border so it's us who must come up with a solution that follows the EU rules (that we created) whilst allowing an open border. The only solution allowed, under current EU rules (that we created) is the custom union. We don't want a CU, therefore there must be a hard border.

Brexiters are so dumb. They think everything revolves around them and when they dont get their own way they cry foul. Idiots.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

New Diktat from Brussels

Yes I know it is. Sadly I'm using English, where "Eire" is perfectly acceptable spelling

As a supporter of Welsh as a living language I wouldn't dream of treading on another culture's toes. But I CBA to add the necessary accents for the 0.1% of people who would notice (and the 0.1% of them who would be insulted by my ommision) compared to the majority who would think me a pretentious prat for doing so.

But if that's all you can contribute to a serious discussion, I suggest you stop now.
      Serious discussion? Patronising a country’s name was the least cretinous of your contributions to it.
      Last edited by meridian; 28 February 2018, 21:57.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        What is that position?
        Hopeless, isn't it.
        Yup, you nailed it.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Yup, you nailed it.
          LOL...

Meanwhile the other contributors (using the word lightly) have reverted to name calling. Again. Perhaps they should take a closer look at the GFA, which is the real issue here.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

LOL...

Meanwhile the other contributors (using the word lightly) have reverted to name calling. Again.
            Simply because it's impossible to get an answer out of the Brexit camp as to what they want, we only hear "we don't want", "we won't accept", etc. The Brexit argument is like the DUP in the 1980s - "NO!"
            ...and then the Brexit camp blame the EU for daring to put forward suggestions.
            The EU is trying to move ahead, it is trying to come up with solutions, but it only gets met with "NO!", the Brexit crowd don't come out with a counter offer, a counter argument or anything, just say no and blame the EU.

And that is frustrating, but keeps the lower level of Brexit supporters happy by pandering to their desire to reject anything that comes from the EU, while achieving nothing.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Meanwhile the other contributors (using the word lightly) have reverted to name calling.
              Give them a break, they’re all terribly agitated. Typically, a nervous breakdown is an “event”, but it is chronic among remainers. They’re feeling angry and humiliated, and the least we can do is to give them a safe space.

Comment

LOL...

Meanwhile the other contributors (using the word lightly) have reverted to name calling. Again. Perhaps they should take a closer look at the GFA, which is the real issue here.
                Let's try and simplify it a bit for you.

The UK is inside a single market, which also includes Ireland. The UK has decided to leave that single market. The UK cannot expect to make a trade deal with Ireland separately from the rest of that single market, as such a deal would break apart the fundamental integrity of the single market. The UK therefore cannot credibly say that they have a solution (the solution being one which would break apart the fundamental integrity of the single market), but that...

... [h]owever the EU rules won't allow that to happen. Even if they tried to set up a one-off deal to allow it, which they won't since that would break their federalist ambitions, then at least one of the 27 would cry foul and veto it.

A nice example of why we will be better off outside the EU bureaucracy, and why it isn't up to the UK to come up with an answer. We have one, the EU doesn't.
                The UK has decided to leave the single market, and it is incumbent on the UK to either find a realistic and viable solution, or to admit that there will be a hard border, the cause of which is the UK's actions. It is time for the Brexiteers to show some intellectual honesty and state that their ambitions are a, b and c, and that the cost of thes ambitions are x, y and z, and for them to make an argument in favour of this balance.

Comment

The LBC political correspondent Theo Usherwood hit the nail on the head a couple of days ago when he said basically Corbyn's speech was the moment "Hard Brexit" died.

It's now pretty clear, even if it wasn't all along that Britain will end up in a deal very similar to Switzerland. For that reason most "Remoaners" are pretty relaxed about it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The LBC political correspondent Theo Usherwood hit the nail on the head a couple of days ago when he said basically Corbyn's speech was the moment "Hard Brexit" died.

It's now pretty clear, even if it wasn't all along that Britain will end up in a deal very similar to Switzerland. For that reason most "Remoaners" are pretty relaxed about it.

Corbyn's proposal still has significant flaws but there are some kernels of sense, in that he ignores the Tory headbangers' red lines. 'The hated ECJ'? I doubt this was much of a factor in the Brexit vote - the ECHR is more vilified that the ECJ. Ability to strike trade deals independently of the EU? Again, I doubt that was much of a factor. What the CU offers is a framework for reducing the disruption in trade (although services will be a sticky topic), while walking away from freedom of movement. The Tory headbangers are left exposed now.

Comment

Brexit is a bit like the bakery manager of a Tesco store having a row with the bosses and setting up his own bakery across the road telling everyone that he will do better than them.

UK "Trade and Divorce negotiations must be done in parallel" EU "No" UK "OK then they wont"
                      UK "We wont pay a penny for leaving the EU" EU " Yes you will 45Bn " UK "OK then we will"
                      UK "EU citizens will not have same rights as UK ones" EU "Yes they will" UK "OK then they will"

EU " You will have a border around the Irish sea" UK "No we wont" .... doesn't take a genius to work out what happens next.
                      Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
                      X