• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Diktat from Brussels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    There you have the whole Remoaner problem in a nutshell.

Post Brexit the UK will be perfectly free to negotiate a deal with Eire to allow existing Irish business to continue as before. However the EU rules won't allow that to happen. Even if they tried to set up a one-off deal to allow it, which they won't since that would break their federalist ambitions, then at least one of the 27 would cry foul and veto it.

A nice example of why we will be better off outside the EU bureaucracy, and why it isn't up to the UK to come up with an answer. We have one, the EU doesn't.
    Are you simple? Ireland is part of a single market so of course it is not possible to negotiate a trade deal with one member state of that single market, independently of the other member states. It's bleedin' obvious, and not a cause for throwing in dog whistle terms like 'federalist ambitions', 'cry foul', 'veto', 'bureaucracy' etc.

Sometimes I think Brexit is too good for you lot.

Comment

Just when we thought the Remoaner delusionals couldn't get any sillier. Why does anyone believe the EU has the power to break up the UK?

Or, just possibly, could it be another ham-fisted negotiating stance, to be dismissed out of hand...?
      Get prepared for Scottish indyref v2 in case of hard brexit

Comment

On the positive side as the row over Northern Ireland heats up, May has taken the opportunity to quietly do a U-turn on everything else.

May does a U-Turn, whilst no-one is looking

I have a suspicion the next row will bury the Northern Ireland problem as well.

Always remember, the UK holds all the cards.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hopeless, isn't it.

We don't have or need a deal with Eire, we're all in the EU custom union.

When we aren't in the EU custom union we could make a deal with Eire, but we can't since the EU won't let them.

So why the f*** is it our problem to come up with a solution? And preferably one that doesn't secede Northern Ireland from the UK.

Pointless arguing really, I'll leave you to it.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hopeless, isn't it.

When we aren't in the EU custom union we could make a deal with Eire, but we can't since the EU won't let them.

So why the f*** is it our problem to come up with a solution? And preferably one that doesn't secede Northern Ireland from the UK.

That will be a 'Yes', then.

Comment

Hopeless, isn't it.

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Eire
                Please just stop. It’s “Ireland” if you’re speaking English, “Éire” with a fada if you’re speaking Gaelic.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Please just stop. It’s “Ireland” if you’re speaking English, “Éire” with a fada if you’re speaking Gaelic.
                  Yes I know it is. Sadly I'm using English, where "Eire" is perfectly acceptable spelling

As a supporter of Welsh as a living language I wouldn't dream of treading on another culture's toes. But I CBA to add the necessary accents for the 0.1% of people who would notice (and the 0.1% of them who would be insulted by my ommision) compared to the majority who would think me a pretentious prat for doing so.

But if that's all you can contribute to a serious discussion, I suggest you stop now.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes I know it is. Sadly I'm using English, where "Eire" is perfectly acceptable spelling

As a supporter of Welsh as a living language I wouldn't dream of treading on another culture's toes. But I CBA to add the necessary accents for the 0.1% of people who would notice (and the 0.1% of them who would be insulted by my ommision) compared to the majority who would think me a pretentious prat for doing so.

But if that's all you can contribute to a serious discussion, I suggest you stop now.
                    The English is 'Ireland', not 'Eire'.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      'Irish' is a better term than 'Gaelic'

Comment

Working...
                      X