• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff (part 2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Within EU law it is discriminatory to make an EU worker pass a test such as IELTS in order to qualify for a job. You are right it is perfectly legal to require someone to speak whatever standard of English is required. What this legislation does is that it forces employers to take each applicant on merit and means they are more likely to interview them. To make them pass a test or attain some sort of official "level" means that people can be arbitrarily discounted.
    There are many Brits who would struggle to pass an English test - not because English isn't their first language, but because text speak/poor grammar.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Wow, you are DEEPLY OFFENSIVE.
      Those who fought in the Great War, the Second World War and the other wars/battles which are remembered on 11/11, they fought to keep us free. Free from racism. Free from religious intolerance. Free from hatred. Free from living in fear.

If you think that everyone who voted to remain disagrees with that, you are so wildly wrong.

You are disgusting.
      Wow "DEEPLY OFFENSIVE" (why???). in capital letters too!!! How dare anyone mention the war!! Do you really think racism, religious intolerance were at the front of people's minds when Britain went to war? Are you really such an idiot that you have no sense of context? We fought 2 world wars in order to protect ourselves from tyranny or control from other European countries not because of politically correct virtues that are more relevant to todays mature democracies

Remainers do not necessarily disagree with this but they clearly fail to have learnt the lessons from history.
      Last edited by DodgyAgent; 1 November 2016, 10:45.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        the EU is not going to unfold, the EU is a project, and actually I find the whole Brexit saga very positive because yes, the EU does need reforming and yes the EU is over doing things in certain directions, and thanks to the UK escalating it is forcing the EU to look inwardly and think about what can be improved, so no arguments there.
        I think the problem is that that is exactly what the EU is not doing. There is still no sense that the EU politicians think any sort of reform is required. They see us as a problem, perhaps with some justification, as we do not want to slavishly follow their club rules.

I think if anyone should fear Brexit, it is the other EU countries. We will survive and prosper on our own, whatever the result of the negotiations, of that I have no doubt whatsoever. There is a whole world out there to build trading links with.

The pain will come from politicians who want to punish us, to make a point, rather than to negotiate what is best for everybody. EU citizens and EU companies will be collateral damage as your negotiators try to hurt us.

Comment

oh no, we're going to debate modern history now for the next few hours, why the wars started, who fought who and why.

War historians, can you please start a new thread and debate the history of the first and second wars peacefully in your own thread.

Ta,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            I think the problem is that that is exactly what the EU is not doing. There is still no sense that the EU politicians think any sort of reform is required. They see us as a problem, perhaps with some justification, as we do not want to slavishly follow their club rules.

I think if anyone should fear Brexit, it is the other EU countries. We will survive and prosper on our own, whatever the result of the negotiations, of that I have no doubt whatsoever. There is a whole world out there to build trading links with.

The pain will come from politicians who want to punish us, to make a point, rather than to negotiate what is best for everybody. EU citizens and EU companies will be collateral damage as your negotiators try to hurt us.

thank you Chuck (dejavu to Cilla Black there)

and this is precisely why I think an executed and completed Brexit is too hard to call in terms of placing a wager, because all it takes, and the floor is open, is for some reforms in the EU and voila the party continues

This show is not over and for sure, it's going to a be a long drawn out soap opera.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              There are many Brits who would struggle to pass an English test - not because English isn't their first language, but because text speak/poor grammar.
              That is another point
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Brexit logic. The EU is a tyranny. We fought two world wars to be free of tyranny. We must leave the EU.

I've yet to see the first point coherently demonstrated.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  thank you Chuck (dejavu to Cilla Black there)

and this is precisely why I think an executed and completed Brexit is too hard to call in terms of placing a wager, because all it takes, and the floor is open, is for some reforms in the EU and voila the party continues

This show is not over and for sure, it's going to a be a long drawn out soap opera.

Milan.
                  In other words you haven't got a f**king clue

Try typing "an idiots guide to Brexit" into Google and come back when you think you know something

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    In other words you haven't got a f**king clue

Try typing "an idiots guide to Brexit" into Google and come back when you think you know something

you lost me there DA.

Go and have a cup of tea and come back and tell us again what you want to say.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      It would make it far more certain that the result reflected the views of all eligible voters, not just those that got off their backsides. Of course the margin of the win wouldn't affect the consequences of Brexit one jot.
                      oh I don't know if the chattering classes got on board and the Government unified then I suspect it would be very good for our future. Glad you concede brexiters were more willing to vote for our countries future! I suppose all the bremoaners weren't eligible because they lived abroad?

which is already quite significantNot an EU issue - rather a France/UK issue. But I applaud your smug mean-spiritedness
                      If the EU did not permit free movement and dealt with the asylum seekers in the first country they crossed (which might well happen if they had border controls) then a waiting room of economic migrants wanting to cross illegally into the UK would not be permitted by the French. It is most definitely an EU problem but of course Bremoaners will deny it.

I admire your generosity with other people's money you appear to be supplying little from your comfortable Swiss home. Have you ever thought of singing, treading the boards or joining the labour party? you would fit right in! You can always move to a tax haven to complete the hypocrisy.

I assume you believe people who have paid massive sums to traverse Europe for economic migration are entitled to enter the UK and undercut / enslave others? I would much prefer to fix the problem at source.

Do tell me if a chap (and they are mainly chaps) coming from a regime so corrupt and unpleasant western nations feel the need to invade has a relative fortune such as £10,000 to pay to cross Europe illegally what sort of person do you think he or his family are likely to be?

The vast majority of people in the world live on a dollar a day and have poor school & health prospects are you going to open your basement for all of them?

We need to go to Africa, India etc and provide them education & peace so they can develop their Infrastructure & healthcare. Obviously we can't do that as it would be attacked as imperialist so we stood back & China bought everything.

Post brexit (which you may have noticed hasn't happened yet) there a few alternatives.
                      Some rambling Tulip masquerading as economic analysis
                      Since we don't have a parallel world to see what would have happened, it's all speculation. What we do know is that right now Britain is not as rich as it was, and that this is probably a direct consequence of the UNCERTAINTY CAUSED BY THE referendum result.
                      Indeed it is speculation we don't need to worry if we understand history and the subtle signals from the other participants that is frequently enough to satisfy people.

1. Large pan European or world Empires always fall, frequently with massive bloodshed. Greeks,Romans,Spanish,French & British.
                      2. Federations normally need an authoritarian government to bind them - Russia.
                      3. Most of Europe has tried to invade & rule most of the rest. Never ends well.
                      4. The most effective cross border organisations depend on mutual cooperation and mostly equal billing. NATO.
                      5. Organisations that people are moved into without their consent are frequently bad. We were told it was a trading union it is in reality a political union.
                      6. Organizations that want to punish you for leaving are frequently bad.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X