• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving SJD Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
    As someone starting out how important is IPSE membership in your eyes? I mean essentially all I need is accountant to do the usual stuff i.e. not all the frills around the edges...Dolan actually seem to have a good proposition
    Thanks Dhrucku. Feel free to private message me, if you need any information about our services that we offer. I usually recommend to my clients for IPSE membership. Extremely useful for contractor's in my opinion. I'm sure others will agree on the forum.
    Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Hey James, have you ever officially been introduced to the forums? Why not pop over to General and come say hello and tell us a little about yourself?
      Don't worry James, I can hold your hand if you like in case they get out of control

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
        Don't worry James, I can hold your hand if you like in case they get out of control
        That's a very kind offer but I'm sure he'll be fine. I was thinking just all friendly like. Take him up the oxo tower to discuss his thunderclap experiences over a hot lunch. Nothing to worry about
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As someone starting out how important is IPSE membership in your eyes? I mean essentially all I need is accountant to do the usual stuff i.e. not all the frills around the edges...Dolan actually seem to have a good proposition
          I would say that for at least the first 18 months of a new contracting company, you do not need IPSE, QDOS or anything else. It is extremely unlikely in my opinion that you will get any inquiries from HMRC for the first and probably second year of operating. So, the money you spend is mostly a complete waste. But then, yes, it makes sense to get cover from either of those people.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

That's a very kind offer but I'm sure he'll be fine. I was thinking just all friendly like. Take him up the oxo tower to discuss his thunderclap experiences over a hot lunch. Nothing to worry about
            He should be so lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              I would say that for at least the first 18 months of a new contracting company, you do not need IPSE, QDOS or anything else. It is extremely unlikely in my opinion that you will get any inquiries from HMRC for the first and probably second year of operating. So, the money you spend is mostly a complete waste. But then, yes, it makes sense to get cover from either of those people.
              Unless his agency pulls a contract unfairly or he's are injured and can't work for 3 weeks+ or his client goes bust or he get's called up for jury service or, heaven forbid, has no life insurance.

Or he could just enjoy the shopping discounts if he's planning on a big purchase in the next year.

And then there would be unfortunate situation that the extremely unlikely happens....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Not a waste at all if you read and learn from all the information they both provide. IPSE for certain is about an awful lot more than IR35, or even universal tax investigation protection.

As I keep saying, you are supposed to be learning a business (we can assume you already know how to do whatever it is you do to earn money). Anything that supports or speeds up that learning, or prevents expensive mistakes or misunderstandings, is not a waste of anything.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

haha. Thanks all. I'll have a look. May take some time to think about my favourite gladiator and post later
                  Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but how good are Dolan Accountancy v SJD and others? Do they offer the same services line by line if compared...?

(I'm aware that there are thousands of accountants out there and I need to do my own due diligence)
                    Last edited by Dhrucku; 13 June 2018, 15:18.

Comment

I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but how good are Dolan Accountancy v SJD and others? Do they offer the same services line by line if compared...?

(I'm aware that there are thousands of accountants out there and I need to do my own due diligence)

And here is Dolan Accountancy site
                      https://www.dolanaccountancy.com/

Not sure doing diligence is really asking a bunch of strangers so time for you to do some homework.

EDIT : But I'll kinda kill this question in one sentence for you. Only one has Freeagent. The question you should be asking if which of the FA ones are good vs Dolan Accountancy. You are posting in a 25 page thread full of people leaving SJD so I think you've got your answer on the SJD question. .

And my opinion. Mr Dolan knows his stuff and he's got the same set up as most of the standard accountants we recommend but his company is new so not sure you'll get any evidence of the full cycle. So forget comparing to SJD and if you've got DA in your head then have quick chat with them on the phone to make sure you get on with them and go for it. As long as you stick to the recommended ones there is no need to over think it.
                      Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 August 2021, 17:25.

Comment

Working...
                      X