• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving SJD Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It is important for some people as it's how they like to do business. Doesn't bother me.
    We find quite a few clients like to know where we are and that they could visit us...but then they never do. I guess it's just the comfort that we have a real office, in the UK, so if the service was terribly bad and we stopped answering emails/phone calls they can come here and break some skulls. Thankfully nobody's needed to yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      We find quite a few clients like to know where we are and that they could visit us...but then they never do. I guess it's just the comfort that we have a real office, in the UK, so if the service was terribly bad and we stopped answering emails/phone calls they can come here and break some skulls. Thankfully nobody's needed to yet.
      If you allow clients to come see you your waiting room can get very busy as well.

and coming in asking the same old topics over and over again

Last edited by northernladuk; 13 June 2018, 10:55.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just seen this thread as I've submitted my resignation this week.

I'm intending to use SJDs Premium package (IPSE mainly) as a foot into the contracting market.

This thread is starting to fill me with no confidence...is it a case I use SJD for a bit until I get my feet wet and then venture off somewhere new?

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post

I'm intending to use SJDs Premium package (IPSE mainly) as a foot into the contracting market.

This thread is starting to fill me with no confidence...is it a case I use SJD for a bit until I get my feet wet and then venture off somewhere new?
          A foot in the contract market is winning a contract. You're talking about company set up and accountancy. SJD made sense a decade ago, but not now. Look at the recommendations thread, and don't be fooled by slick marketing and a good reputation that is long out of date.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            A foot in the contract market is winning a contract. You're talking about company set up and accountancy. SJD made sense a decade ago, but not now. Look at the recommendations thread, and don't be fooled by slick marketing and a good reputation that is long out of date.
            Agree. Worth checking the recommendations thread. As if you change mid-year, you may open yourself to balancing charges or additional accountancy fees.
            Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanAccountancyJames View Post
              Agree. Worth checking the recommendations thread. As if you change mid-year, you may open yourself to balancing charges or additional accountancy fees.
              Hey James, have you ever officially been introduced to the forums? Why not pop over to General and come say hello and tell us a little about yourself? We don't even know who your favourite gladiator is!! It's a friendly place so feel free to share with us in there.

Comment

As someone starting out how important is IPSE membership in your eyes? I mean essentially all I need is accountant to do the usual stuff i.e. not all the frills around the edges...Dolan actually seem to have a good proposition

Comment

As someone starting out how important is IPSE membership in your eyes? I mean essentially all I need is accountant to do the usual stuff i.e. not all the frills around the edges...Dolan actually seem to have a good proposition
                  IPSE+ is a no brainer IMO. Smash the discount scheme and its free if nothing else.

Or do you mean an accredited or endorsed accountant and not membership?
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 13 June 2018, 11:44.

Comment

Fully agree re IPSE+...but then, I would
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Reading this thread, I'd avoid SJD if I were new - you won't know what you don't know and people here have mentioned the same issues affecting them.

I've changed accountants three times now for various reasons. Speak to a few of them and get a feel - when I started, back when SJD were almost the default option, I spoke to Simon's dad at SJD about them but didn't get the "warm and fuzzy" feeling so I never went with them. I spoke to a couple of others and found one that I liked from there. When it came time to change I did the same and discussed things with a couple of places and picked one.

What works for one person doens't always fit what you want / need, so I'd recommend having a chat / message / email exchange with a handful that look good and then pick one from there. Generally prices aren't too far off each other so it's about getting what you need from them - £10 a month isn't going to make too much difference if it buys peace of mind and professionalism.

And you can always get your IPSE membership directly or through advertising codes etc with a discount, and then you know it'll go with you when you change accountant.
                      I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Working...
                      X