• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    Just a shame mr afriyie who is my mp is all hot air. He's got no interest in our case, won't reply to any correspondence.
    My neighbour's a good friend of his, he has an agenda of his own so don't expect him to put his head above the parapet on this one.

Comment

MP Meeting

I met with my MP this morning. He was very good, and was supportive.

I was concious that there were other constituents waiting so kept it short. He had read the docs that I had emailed to him beforehand.

We discussed what was the 'Will of Parliament' in 1987 regarding Padmore. He understood; after all our grievance is about injustice & malfeasance, not tax avoidance.

I have spoken to NTRT this morning & given a more in depth feedback.

My MP will be writing again to the Treasury.

I urge all others to get down to their MP's surgeries asap. It's not that daunting. Go for it!
      Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post

I was concious that there were other constituents waiting so kept it short. He had read the docs that I had emailed to him beforehand.

We discussed what was the 'Will of Parliament' in 1987 regarding Padmore. He understood; after all our grievance is about injustice & malfeasance, not tax avoidance.

I urge all others to get down to their MP's surgeries asap. It's not that daunting. Go for it!
        Well done, and thanks for the feedback!
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post

Hi Ninja - Can you say which documents you sent him beforehand?

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
            Hi Ninja - Can you say which documents you sent him beforehand?
            The latest newsletter from NTRT. I know my MP socially so have a close informal relationship.

Good luck!
            Ninja

Comment

Letter from MP

Just got a letter from my MP, along with a 6 page letter from Gauke concluding that 'those seeking to avoid tax through aggressive schemes such as this must accept the risk that the scheme they have chosen does not work, and be prepared for the consequences'.

Gauke's letter also states that 'Representatives of this lobby group have made a number of misleading assertions in briefings sent to their members for use in writing to their MP'.

This is in response to a letter my MP sent him the day after the January briefing.

Anyone got something similar?

In the process of setting up a meeting with my MP anyway, so quite timely really.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
                Just got a letter from my MP, along with a 6 page letter from Gauke concluding that 'those seeking to avoid tax through aggressive schemes such as this must accept the risk that the scheme they have chosen does not work, and be prepared for the consequences'.

Gauke's letter also states that 'Representatives of this lobby group have made a number of misleading assertions in briefings sent to their members for use in writing to their MP'.

This is in response to a letter my MP sent him the day after the January briefing.

In the process of setting up a meeting with my MP anyway, so quite timely really.
                So what you're saying is that he's rattled. It shows that our campaign is working.

Keep up the good fight!
                Ninja

Comment

Lol, this from the man who uses the word 'clarification' to cover up blatant lies? Oh dear. I take it he wasn't prepared in his letter to state exactly what had been misrepresented? Better leave that vague, just in case, eh Gauke? The chickens coming home to roost, methinks.

Comment

The guy really is a class act!

If the scheme did NOT work why the hell did it need retrospective law changes ?

I rest my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Gauke
                      Those seeking to avoid tax through aggressive schemes such as this must accept the risk that the scheme they have chosen does not work, and be prepared for the consequences.
                      Err... isn't that the argument you are making... that you are more than happy to suffer any consequences of the scheme not working at the time when you sought to avoid tax. (i.e. without retrospection)

Plonker...

Comment

Working...
                      X