• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst accepting its a great toolkit and not wanting to put too much of a downer on things - it's a hugely daunting task to sit in front of an MP and his/her assistant and try and put across the huge amount of content and arguments.

Great work everybody - a lot of work has gone into this.

But, may I suggest it's "trimmed" for ease of presentation, I for one could not argue/present that much content during a 15 minute meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
      Whilst accepting its a great toolkit and not wanting to put too much of a downer on things - it's a hugely daunting task to sit in front of an MP and his/her assistant and try and put across the huge amount of content and arguments.

But, may I suggest it's "trimmed" for ease of presentation, I for one could not argue/present that much content during a 15 minute meeting.
      I agree it's a lot to present and argue. The cribsheet helps to some extent but my wife and I will be doing a few dry-runs before I sit in front of a parliamentarian. The hardest task will be imagining her as an MP or someone with whom I can reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Guttersnipe View Post
        I agree it's a lot to present and argue. The cribsheet helps to some extent but my wife and I will be doing a few dry-runs before I sit in front of a parliamentarian. The hardest task will be imagining her as an MP or someone with whom I can reason.
        I found it difficult because I couldn't put up the technical arguments in a fast enough manner for my MP. He just kept turning to the answer "I'll write to Mr Gauke" without really listening to my point.

Plus I don't think it helped that I swamped him with data prior to the meeting. Which he and his assistant hadn't bothered to read.

Comment

Just wanted to say great work to NTRT.

I've setup my standing order - first payment out today.

Will take a look in more detail at the toolkit later today.

Comment

I found it difficult because I couldn't put up the technical arguments in a fast enough manner for my MP. He just kept turning to the answer "I'll write to Mr Gauke" without really listening to my point.
            I have to agree with LZ here. Assuming my MP agrees to a meet - he has refused on at least three previous occasions, I believe he will express at best a lack of interest and more likely exasperation that I haven't curled up and died quietly somewhere.
            I am just 'noise' as far as he is concerned and he has made it plain that I am wasting his time.

On the upside - this latest toolkit can easily be distilled to three or so hard hitting points that can be presented and maintained in a 15 minute slot. I'll give it a go.

Comment

Windsor MP

Has anyone had any luck with Adam Afriyie in Windsor, he has been silent for me? Im thinking of booking an appointment but he hasnt replied to anything ive pinged so far..

Comment

The aim of the toolkit is to empower you to be able to answer questions that may be asked of you by your MP in a positive way.

Of course you are right that it would be difficult for you to present everything contained in the presentation. No one expects that - it is more about getting a cohesive argument across that makes a few key points that persuades your MP that he either understands the issues or wants to find out more. You can always leave him with the detail.

We have met a good number of MPs since we started. I am no different to you - I thought that an MP would argue (debate if you like) each point. They don't, they tend to listen, which is actually their job. I would say that all the MPs that we have met have been extremely approachable and affable characters, very different to how we get to see them on TV and in the Press. They know that you are an ordinary constituent. If you meet them, they will give you between 15 and 30 minutes. They will make allowances for the fact that you are not an MP and actually help you get your points across. At the end of your presentation make sure you ask whether they will sign a cross party letter and what other help they can offer.

What I am saying here is that they are not as intimidating as you may think.

We are now in a major push to get our collective point across and to get some traction in Parliament. We cannot do this on our own and need each and every member to make the appointment and to meet their MP. By doing this I truly believe that we can succeed.
                Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Thanks for latest toolkit, meeting with mp booked for next Friday.

Comment

MP meeting

Couldn't squeeze into my MP's surgery last Friday (and can't make the next couple), but have written to him again following up on discussions since the surgery I did get to last September. Will share all replies with Whitehouse. He didn't think he could help last time, and didn't get to the January briefing but claims to be 'following the issue' and should take note of the comprehensive (!) recent new evidence.

Comment

Knock back!

Originally posted by WhiteCat View Post
                      Couldn't squeeze into my MP's surgery last Friday (and can't make the next couple), but have written to him again following up on discussions since the surgery I did get to last September. Will share all replies with Whitehouse. He didn't think he could help last time, and didn't get to the January briefing but claims to be 'following the issue' and should take note of the comprehensive (!) recent new evidence.
                      Just received a voice mail reply stating that I can only follow up with emails and phone calls as I've already had my 15 mins. Will forward details to White House for further instruction.

Comment

Working...
                      X