• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
    Just received a voice mail reply stating that I can only follow up with emails and phone calls as I've already had my 15 mins. Will forward details to White House for further instruction.
    That sounds shocking. Can an MP actually actively refuse a constituent a meeting request?

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Interesting article about Hodge in the Daily Telegraph...

Margaret Hodge's family company pays just 0.01pc tax on £2.1bn of business generated in the UK - Telegraph

Falling on one's own sword springs to mind.
      This is an old story and the Telegraph apologised to Hodge because they got it wrong.
      Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
        This is an old story and the Telegraph apologised to Hodge because they got it wrong.
        Pity!
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

SO and MP Meeting

Okay, monthly standing order to NTRT finally set up and active.

Meeting booked with my MP for next Friday. I appear to have the memory retention of a dyslexic hedgehog these days so I'm not sure how much of the info in the toolkit I'll get across in my allotted slot but here goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
            Okay, monthly standing order to NTRT finally set up and active.

Meeting booked with my MP for next Friday. I appear to have the memory retention of a dyslexic hedgehog these days so I'm not sure how much of the info in the toolkit I'll get across in my allotted slot but here goes!
            Good one D&C. It takes some guts but it is a satisfying exercise I found. I am in the process of trying to get a second meeting. At the end of the day getting the facts across is important but just being a regular person sat in front of your MP, showing a major injustice is a great start. We need everyone to get out there and let them know that :

a) We are still passionate about how wrong this all is
            b) That we are regular hard working folk about to be financially crippled as a result of lies and deceit
            c) The unannounced retrospective element of Section 58 FA 2008, and how it came about is plainly wrong
            d) MPs have been led up the garden path by HMRC
            http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
              Good one D&C. It takes some guts but it is a satisfying exercise I found. I am in the process of trying to get a second meeting. At the end of the day getting the facts across is important but just being a regular person sat in front of your MP, showing a major injustice is a great start. We need everyone to get out there and let them know that :

a) We are still passionate about how wrong this all is
              b) That we are regular hard working folk about to be financially crippled as a result of lies and deceit
              c) The unannounced retrospective element of Section 58 FA 2008, and how it came about is plainly wrong
              d) MPs have been led up the garden path by HMRC
              WHS.

It does take guts but at the end of the day MPs are no different to anyone else - they have a job to do - which above all else is to represent their constituents. In my experience, if someone has taken the trouble to take time off work and to meet with them they will want to understand exactly what it is that you need to talk to them about.

The key here is to get as many people as possible in front of their MP telling the message in their own words. The MP may feel that there is not so much they can do personally other than passing information on. However, some of these MPs may be on the Finance Bill Committee which will be appointed in April. There they will every opportunity to make a difference. Finally, the FB comes back to the main chamber of HoC for discussion. They will recall your meeting and may well act supportively in support of their constituent(s).

You have nothing to lose here. Collectively, by getting in front of perhaps half of the HoC we have every opportunity to get to where we want to go.
              Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
              "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
                It does take guts but at the end of the day MPs are no different to anyone else - they have a job to do - which above all else is to represent their constituents.
                Someone I know has finally, after almost a year of trying, got a meeting with his MP.

This MP is a bit different because he's also the Prime Minister!
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 7 March 2013, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  Someone I know has finally, after almost a year of trying, got a meeting with his MP.

Now that will be interesting!
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

Wow. I wonder what he'll have to say.
                    If he's unsympathetic then maybe he could remind DC how his own family fortune was made. Hmmm
                    Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

ooo to be a fly on the wall!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X