• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP Contact

Response from my MP Fabian Hamilton:-

Many thanks for letting me know. I will do all I can to support this new clause and let's hope that it is successful at last. Keep up the good work!

With best wishes,

Fabian Hamilton

Labour MP for Leeds North East

Comment

MP Contact - NOW is the time

I met my MP twice last year and he basically did nothing to assist. So a few weeks ago, and in light of the new evidence and circular arguments coming from Gauke, I put my foot down with his researcher and insisted that my MP actually take an hour to read all the documentation and THEN meet me. The meeting took place last week - lasted an hour - by the end of it, my MP had more thoroughly understood that a. S58 was unwarned and unwarranted b. HMRC have consistently acted in a way that made us think our arrangements were in fact acceptable (in the same way perhaps as a £1.5m tax free donation to the Labour Party is) and c. that we are not asking to be "let off" - far from it - we simply wish to have this matter judged in a court of law as per the law as it stood when we entered into the arrangements; no more, and certainly no less. We may win; we may lose. But thats how a democracy works.

My MP has now arranged to speak to various other MPs ahead of the debate in 2 weeks time. Result.

So, to all of you lot I say that its essential that you just do not take no for an answer (my MP also was particularly interested in the human impact element by the way) - NOW is the time to act - ie today or tomorrow. Next week or next month is too late.
      Last edited by Dieselpower; 6 June 2013, 09:24.
      Join the campaign at
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

MP lobbying

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
        NOW is the time to act - ie today or tomorrow. Next week or next month is too late.
        Exactly ! My next session with my MP is tomorrow. He has previously written to David Gauke on my behalf, but told me there's nothing more he can do (despite being a senior Tory ex-Treasury minister). Having this amendment in place now presents a clear opportunity for him to do something positive by supporting it.

Comment

2 weeks to "D-Day"

Let's make the most of these 2 weeks.

Every one of us should be asking our MP to contact their colleagues on the Finance Bill Committee and support Steve Baker's amendment NC1.

Don't sit back and leave it to others.

We need every single gram of support we can muster.

Comment

Contacting MPs

Does anyone involved have David Gauke as their own MP?

Have there been meetings? How did they go?

If this has been covered previously, apologies.

Comment

EMail, Write and Phone

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

Every one of us should be asking our MP to contact their colleagues on the Finance Bill Committee and support Steve Baker's amendment NC1.

There are 650 MPs. Each one that has spent the time and effort to understand what S58 is, how it was implemented and the impact it has can see our point of view and agrees with the amendment.

There are MPs out there that take the letters with misinformation and political spin as gospel and think that is all there is to it. Please persuade your MP to delve a little deeper (with your help) if you have not already done so. The best thing is to discuss with them to help them understand.

There is some great work going on but don't assume your MP has the info to hand.

- Phone their office to arrange a meeting
              - EMail a letter and post the letter

Do the above now and then follow up with a phone call to their office.
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                There are 650 MPs. Each one that has spent the time and effort to understand what S58 is, how it was implemented and the impact it has can see our point of view and agrees with the amendment.

There are MPs out there that take the letters with misinformation and political spin as gospel and think that is all there is to it. Please persuade your MP to delve a little deeper (with your help) if you have not already done so. The best thing is to discuss with them to help them understand.

There is some great work going on but don't assume your MP has the info to hand.

- Phone their office to arrange a meeting
                - EMail a letter and post the letter

Do the above now and then follow up with a phone call to their office.
                Hi TC, can I get someone to PM me the letter to send to Adam Afiriyie please and I will mail him today. I mailed twice now, no response asking about surgeries, off the back of that I will also phone tomorrow. I have also been in contact with two other members (you know who you are!! :-) and will keep them in the loop and reckon we should arrive mob handed!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

We need every single gram of support we can muster.
                  Sorry I have been away for a while and just catching up on latest. Is there a new letter template to send requesting support of the amendment?

Comment

New toolkit being issued shortly

Whitehouse will be sending an email to all members shortly with a new template.

In the mean time, book an appointment to meet your MP.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
                      Sorry I have been away for a while and just catching up on latest. Is there a new letter template to send requesting support of the amendment?
                      I have just sent this letter to my MP (more success than email), pulled from various posts here.

Code:
                      Dear Mr .....

Finance Act 2008, section 58, paragraphs 4 and 5

I would be extremely grateful if you could contact one or more of your colleagues on this year's Finance Bill Committee to make them aware that I have been severely affected by the retrospective tax legislation S58(4) FA 2008.

One of the MPs on the committee Steve Baker has tabled an amendment (NC1) to limit the extent of the retrospection of S58(4). If this were accepted it would remove the imminent threat of bankruptcy hanging over myself and the other 2000 people caught up in this nightmare.

My family have endured this for 5 years now and we just want to move on with our lives.

Thank you for your previous support on this matter, we are gaining support for the amendment as more MPs understand that the retrospective change in law was unwarned and unwarranted and HMRC have consistently acted in a way that made us think our arrangements were in fact acceptable

Yours sincerely,

Comment

Working...
                      X