• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't take "No" for an answer

If you are getting the cold shoulder from your MP keep banging down their door until they agree to a meeting. They are elected and paid to represent you.

The fact that a Tory MP has gone out on a limb to table an amendment contrary to the official line, and MPs from all parties willingly signed the cross party letter, is proof that it is possible to get through to them.

Don't let them discourage you.
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 2 June 2013, 19:16.

Comment

Article on amendment

Hope it's ok to post this article from another contractor site.

Comment

When is the Finance bill debate?

Comment

Bill debate

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
          When is the Finance bill debate?
          Expected around 20 June I think

Comment

Another quality article

Anti-avoidance: A slippery slope to HMRC tax tyranny | City A.M.

Comment

Sounds like we should get the cross party letter on his desk to sign!

Comment

Here's an idea

My MP is not on the FBC but a Tory colleague of hers in a neighbouring constituency is. So I asked her to lobby this member.

If anyone else has a member of the FBC in a nearby constituency, you might want to ask your MP to do the same.

I compiled a list of FBC members, sorted by constituency, here:
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1753204

Let's keep up the momentum!

Thanks
                DR
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 4 June 2013, 12:24.

Comment

MP not on FBC

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  My MP is not on the FBC but a Tory colleague of hers in a neighbouring constituency is. So I asked her to lobby this member.

If anyone else has a member of the FBC in a nearby constituency, you might want to ask your MP to do the same.

I compiled a list of FBC members, sorted by constituency, here:
                  http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1753204

Let's keep up the momentum!

Thanks
                  DR

I have emailed my MP to ask if he can assist in lobbying any of the committee members. I have also included the link to the Article in CityAM by Mark Field (Conservative MP for the Cities of London and Westminster)
                  Last edited by Buzby; 4 June 2013, 14:01. Reason: hyperlink

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
                    I have emailed my MP to ask if he can assist in lobbying any of the committee members. I have also included the link to the Article in CityAM by Mark Field (Conservative MP for the Cities of London and Westminster)
                    Good stuff.

Comment

Sample letter

If you haven't contacted your MP already, just hack around with this and email it to them using the link:

WriteToThem - Email or fax your Councillor, MP, MEP, MSP or Welsh, NI, London Assembly Member for free

I am writing to ask for your help.

I would be extremely grateful if you could contact one or more of your colleagues on this year's Finance Bill Committee to make them aware that I have been severely affected by the retrospective tax legislation S58(4) FA 2008.

One of the MPs on the committee Steve Baker has tabled an amendment (NC1) to limit the extent of the retrospection of S58(4). If this were accepted it would remove the imminent threat of bankruptcy hanging over myself and the other 2000 people caught up in this nightmare.

My family have endured this for 5 years now and we just want to move on with our lives.

I hope to hear from you soon.
                      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 4 June 2013, 15:27.

Comment

Working...
                      X