• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mixed Working - Company Home Office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed Working - Company Home Office

I've got 2 part time contracts on the go right now: one outside IR35 through myCo and one inside through a Brolly. I work on both on course of the day, swapping back and forth as needed.

I have a nice quiet home office funded by myCo with decent furniture and hi-spec kit. Am I really expected to come out of there every time I need to do something on the Brolly contract - sit on a hard chair in the kitchen with my 10 year old laptop and the kids bouncing around?

If so, can myCo let the office and equipment to me (personally) for a nominal amount, so I don't have to ridiculously keep going in and out? (How would I price this?)

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
    I have a nice quiet home office funded by myCo with decent furniture and hi-spec kit.
    <looks for popcorn emoji>

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9ae181d0787063c509863c5cfb746a89fe8ea8a4d4ffb5a07f3d717ed01c7996.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	4195954

Use the weekly allowance through the LTD and thats it. No idea what the rest of that rubbish was about.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wait, so you want to use money from the IR35 contract (i.e. taxed) to pay your company rent for equipment, so that the money can be taxed again as profit, and yet again when you take them out?

Or is it something I am not getting?

Comment

Wait, so you want to use money from the IR35 contract (i.e. taxed) to pay your company rent for equipment, so that the money can be taxed again as profit, and yet again when you take them out?
          In essence, yes, but replace the word "want" with "are forced to".

Otherwise I'm either (1) using company owned resources on non-company (Brolly) work, or (2) working on a Brolly contract in crap conditions right next door to a nice empty office.

Comment

I've got 2 part time contracts on the go right now: one outside IR35 through myCo and one inside through a Brolly. I work on both on course of the day, swapping back and forth as needed.

I have a nice quiet home office funded by myCo with decent furniture and hi-spec kit. Am I really expected to come out of there every time I need to do something on the Brolly contract - sit on a hard chair in the kitchen with my 10 year old laptop and the kids bouncing around?

If so, can myCo let the office and equipment to me (personally) for a nominal amount, so I don't have to ridiculously keep going in and out? (How would I price this?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	wtf-talking.gif
Views:	291
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	4195974

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

In essence, yes, but replace the word "want" with "are forced to".

Otherwise I'm either (1) using company owned resources on non-company (Brolly) work, or (2) working on a Brolly contract in crap conditions right next door to a nice empty office.
              Well you can't do (1) so you have to stick to number (2) I am afraid. No other way around it sorry. Using company owned resources for your brolly gig is a bit no no and the tax man will not be happy. Kitchen table is the best way to stay clean.

Comment

Looking at this another way, I don't think there's any inherent reason you need to move from the office to the kitchen. I.e. I assume that you personally own (or rent) the house as a whole, including both rooms.

So, the issue would be that you're using stuff in the office, e.g. chair, desk, monitors. If those items are currently owned by the company, could you sell them to yourself? You'd have to pay a fair price for them (rather than pennies), i.e. you'd lose the original tax benefit, but that would then give you the flexibility to use them for whatever you like.

If you have a company laptop, it probably makes sense to keep that (i.e. don't own it personally). However, you could use a KVM to switch between that and the brolly machine.

Comment

If those items are currently owned by the company, could you sell them to yourself?
                  Thanks - yes, that sounds fairly sensible - working in the kitchen doesn't appeal. As they are now second hand a "fair price" shouldn't be too outrageous. I could even sell them back to myCo at the end of the brolly contract....

Comment

Thanks - yes, that sounds fairly sensible - working in the kitchen doesn't appeal. As they are now second hand a "fair price" shouldn't be too outrageous. I could even sell them back to myCo at the end of the brolly contract....
                    Why not have a time sheet in the office. Log the hours you spend using company gear and at the end of the month you put a token gesture in to the company from you. Like 70 quid a month or something like that. I mean you are going to get it all back out eventually so makes no difference but you've proved you are renting it off the company like a shared desk company does.
                    Keep a list of the items you've used like chair, desk, stapler, 10 sheets printer paper against those hours and then file it with Freeagent so the tax man can't complain either.

No buggering about with selling anything.

EDIT : Just thought. instead of logging hours you had better book the time so it doesn't look like you are fiddling hours. Just book the hours your office will be used by the inside gig on your clients calendar and print it off as evidence. Just put what equipment you'll be using in the booking.

Comment

Working...
                    X