• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mixed Working - Company Home Office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm finding that a tad difficult to believe?
    Neither started out as part time. I was doing some outside IR35 work full time. An old client came back with a very attractive offer to continue supporting, on a limited part time basis, something I'd been working on whilst I was previously there full time (but would only accept through a brolly). Whilst others might, I personally couldn't be bothered trying to juggle this in secret (see other thread on managing 2 contracts). The outside IR35 work was pretty light, so they were more than happy to cut my contracted hours on that project.

Anyway, most of these replies seem to be focused on the office SPACE - I didn't mean to mislead, but that's not really the point - it's part of my house so I'm going to go in there whenever I want (I don't think drawing a map of it is going to do anything for the taxman) - it's about using the company owned office STUFF that's in there. I guess it would be the same question even if I didn't have a dedicated office space - it's how to avoid having to double up on furniture and IT kit between myCo work and BrollyCo work.

MyCo either selling or renting it to me seems the simplest way.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
      I honestly cant figure out if this is a tulippost and you are trolling him/her or this is a serious discussion?

If you can't tell we must be doing a great job. We are trolling the arse out of it to see how long we can keep it going. Can't pass a bit of fun on the late entrant for daftest post of the year.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=supersteamer;n4196084]An old client came back with a very attractive offer to continue supporting, on a limited part time basis, something I'd been working on whilst I was previously there full time (but would only accept through a brolly).

Well you've missed a trick. You should have said "provide a PO to my company if you want me to do anything."
        And told them to foxtrot oscar if they insisted on a brolly. They either want you or they don't.
        And it's amazing how soon client's change their tune when they can't get what they want.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I am struggling to understand why you would leave your office when you are working on the brolly contract or why you need to pay yourself to use the office space.

Who advised you that this was necessary?
          Hector sneaks into your home when you're out and sets up spy cams to check up on your movements don't ya know!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you can't tell we must be doing a great job. We are trolling the arse out of it to see how long we can keep it going. Can't pass a bit of fun on the late entrant for daftest post of the year.
            Thank god for that.
            Given this was in the Accounting/Legal section I wasnt sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	steamer.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	4196093

Aint this the truth!

Comment

Can't pass a bit of fun on the late entrant for daftest post of the year.
              Why is this daft?

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post

Why is this daft?
                How on earth would HMRC know what you are using to do the work.

And does the boss of the company who owns the equipment care that you are doing other work on it?

If you are sat on a client site doing work for another company may be a problem - working from home - who cares...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

How on earth would HMRC know what you are using to do the work.

And does the boss of the company who owns the equipment care that you are doing other work on it?

If you are sat on a client site doing work for another company may be a problem - working from home - who cares...
                  +1 There is probably a ton of evidence from the legislations that could be posted but there is just no need. Bit of common sense is all that is needed and Eek explains that above.

Who gives a flying monkies which kit you are using at what hours. All business stuff comes with an element of personal use so just use the bloody stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post

Why is this daft?
                    Did you ask your accountant? I'm sure after sharing it with the office they would have come back with an answer for you.

Comment

Did you ask your accountant?
                      I can't ask my accountant. They only do work for myCo, so can't advise on what I should be doing as employee of BrollyCo.

Comment

Working...
                      X