• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is everyone going to do assuming HMR&C and Osborne get their way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    : FEWER

..and what's Edward got to do with it?
    Don't interrupt when the grownups are talking.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
      From what I have read we'd be caught by IR35. So it'd be easier to just go through an umbrella, we'd probably still get T&S as we'd no longer be PSCs. That's probably it. It'd cost me £2,500 a month, but I'd survive, just about.
      You'd be paying £2500 more in tax each month and you'd only just about survive?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Just had an interesting chat with manager at Client A.

I'm signed on here until March, they want me beyond that but wont be able to "source my services" in the same way as now (Agency via a PSL). Floated the idea of going direct with them, no opposition and an agreement that it was worth considering.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Yes but that 1st tier is for the supply of receptionists and office temps. The demand from Big Co for PMs/BAs/Devs etc isn't going away so why do people assume the cost of hiring this skill will massively decrease based on the method of end taxation. It won't IMHO.
          No its not (receptionists and temps). Its about IT Contractors who were sold the model for never being out of work but still 'in a contract.' Seriously, where have you been living these last 5 years!?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If it really was 1 month I would probably take a bit of time off to see what happens, i.e. if anyone comes up with a way to bypass the legislation somehow, and if not, just take a permie job for a year until the whole thing comes crashing down, then switch back to contract again when they undo it all.

If they don't undo it all I will move to Canada.
            Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

One of many thoughts which have occurred to me: agencies becoming willing (or new ones popping up) to trade with Sole Traders instead of Ltd PSCs.

Stop panicking. If you are a genuine businessman this will just be a speed-bump IMHO, if you're a permie in disguise, well, suck it up you lame ass.
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

I'll wait for the dust to settle and see how it affects the market.

If we end up on payroll its game over. For me I'll be looking to do something totally different or move/work abroad.
                If we end up IR35 caught I'll try to carry on but if T&S is also no longer available I'll work local or as above look to do something else.
                If we end up with only the Divi tax either due to operating differently or we're all over reacting then carry on as normal and keep invoicing

Either way I don't see myself going back permie. Been there and it wasn't nice.
                Last edited by pjt; 19 November 2015, 12:18.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You'd be paying £2500 more in tax each month and you'd only just about survive?
                  2 disabled kids, debts from my younger days and bad decisions in a past life continue to haunt me I'm afraid.

I'd make sure that house isn't made of glass by the way...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
                    : FEWER

..and what's Edward got to do with it?
                    PFFT

Typo - I meant "during the era of Serfdom"

Comment

Spoken to someone in client HR this morning. They are aware of potential changes. However, they were adamant that none of the Contract resource is going on the payroll.

Comment

Working...
                      X