• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is everyone going to do assuming HMR&C and Osborne get their way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    The intermediary (agency) has to report who isn't getting paid via PAYE. This is already happening.
    and if direct, are end clients already doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      No, hence "intermediary reporting requirement". If a PSC is working direct, there is no reporting requirement, although the PSC may have a reporting requirement on a subcontractor (i.e. where the PSC is an intermediary).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I don't bring in anything like £100k to begin with, in order that I could require it! I could just get a bog standard 30k coding job if worst came to worst, and I deliberately don't allow myself to forget that my contracting income is a massive luxury.
        Similar here perhaps.
        I used to make £100k in the good old days, now the margin over what I'd get permie is much reduced, but the sting in the tail is that few employers want a permie in their 50s who's been on the tools designing stuff and avoided all leadership/management nonsense as a freelancer for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightwave View Post
          Similar here perhaps.
          I used to make £100k in the good old days, now the margin over what I'd get permie is much reduced, but the sting in the tail is that few employers want a permie in their 50s who's been on the tools designing stuff and avoided all leadership/management nonsense as a freelancer for 20 years.
          There's no long term money in IT, you have 20 years to coin it in as a techie, 20 to 40 years old. In your 40's you need either to be well into plan b, or taken the permie management pill, where £100K p.a. is a common as muck. I know managers on twice that with bonuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            There's no long term money in IT, you have 20 years to coin it in as a techie, 20 to 40 years old. In your 40's you need either to be well into plan b, or taken the permie management pill, where £100K p.a. is a common as muck. I know managers on twice that with bonuses.
            Nope.

Wrong side of 45 now and turnover is double that. The "M" word appears nowhere on my CV.

It depends what you do and how you do it. Move with the times and stay up to date, and there is plenty of money to be made.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              No, hence "intermediary reporting requirement". If a PSC is working direct, there is no reporting requirement, although the PSC may have a reporting requirement on a subcontractor (i.e. where the PSC is an intermediary).
              WJBS

More on it at http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...uirements.html

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Nope.

Wrong side of 45 now and turnover is double that. The "M" word appears nowhere on my CV.

It depends what you do and how you do it. Move with the times and stay up to date, and there is plenty of money to be made.
                And where?
                Once I had enough cash to enjoy life I became less willing to chase around the country (etc) for a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                  Evolve my business model.
                  Ben Dover Productions company name is already taken...

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
                    But if they bring in a rock solid 1 month limit and eliminate entrepreneurs relief, then it's DOOM DOOM DOOM!
                    Why would they keep ER? It would allow people pay 18% corp tax (when it arrives) and then 10% CGT on remaining amount by claming ER - effective taxation of 26% instead of PAYE which can reach 60% (45% income tax + 2% employee NIC + 13.8% employer NIC).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Why would they keep ER? It would allow people pay 18% corp tax (when it arrives) and then 10% CGT on remaining amount by claming ER - effective taxation of 26% instead of PAYE which can reach 60% (45% income tax + 2% employee NIC + 13.8% employer NIC).

The fact all we now have is an entrepreneurial economy would suggest keeping it is a good idea, but it seems Osborne's only wish is to bankrupt the UK as fast as possible so my statement is invalid.
                      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Working...
                      X