• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is everyone going to do assuming HMR&C and Osborne get their way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Only the residual after accounting for FRS.
    I wasn't aiming at you, I was digging at Pondlife
    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
      Yep - well that and why he's so obsessed with his debt target. Why it can't be a year or two later I've no idea.

So we owe more for a few years longer, why does that matter?
      We're going to owe a lot, forever. This is what''s so misleading. It's a massive pile of horsetulip and he's making people poor for no earthly good reason other than to line central bank pockets with more power and property.

We're still borrowing £100 Billion a year.
      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Multiple clients and a good day rate.
        Real time moonlighting eh

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
          So you include VAT in your turnover figure? Nice.
          Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
          I wasn't aiming at you, I was digging at Pondlife
          For the purposes of arguing on the internet I do. Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
            I used to do the budget for a regulatory project for a LLoyd's of London insurer in the city. We were a team of 6, our boss earned £2,700 a day, plus expenses.
            If anyone wants a dogs body to join their team at Lloyd's, I am your man

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
              Real time moonlighting eh
              No. Balancing the demands of a diverse client base to make the best use of available resources.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I think they are following the same model as in switzerland
                Over there agencies take you on their payroll and you get paid after deduction of taxes and NI
                Which means permie jobs are more lucrative there than contracting.
                bye bye contracting in UK
                Last edited by Andy2; 18 November 2015, 16:15.

Comment

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I don't think this primarily about tax gains. So people scoffing at the derisory £400M tax gain are missing the point.

I think it is about the Tories caving in to their civil servants' long-time urging to herd self-employed and contractors into larger trusted "units" (for want of a better word) which can be supervised by fewer HMR&C officials.

Over 1000 HMR&C inspectors have been laid off in the last year, if I'm not mistaken. So the Government is very keen to make HMR&C more efficient by in effect devolving tax oversight to larger companies, who they may feel can be trusted more and more efficiently audited etc than a large throng of hated, tiresome, and largely untrustworthy loose cannons which is how they regard the self-employed and contractors!

If so it won't work as intended, what with contractors dipping in and out of contracts every month, working for each other in all kinds of absurdly contrived ways, and so on. If anything, it will make tax audits and inspections even more fraught and complicated
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
                    If they don't undo it all I will move to Canada.
                    Yep.

Canada is supposed to be heavy taxing country ... whole 29% of taxable income over $138,586!!!

... and they've got great tax funded services.

To be fair they've got also local tax - depends on territory where you live, so there is some choice - 10% in Alberta, overall looks like no worse than 40% here.

Only downside - far away and lots of snow. But if your lifestyle is destroyed by a "pro-business" Tory Scumverment then might as well move.

Comment

Go direct to the client? Would that count as being 'in business' as opposed to a 'pseudo employee' as HMRC would see it?

Comment

Working...
                      X