• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fibre internet questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're looking at Fibre, I agree with you these seem the best options however do check out PlusNet. The problem is they only offer unlimited with the 76Mbps version, on 38Mbps they have a 40Gb usage cap... but their 76Mbps is cheaper than BT. However BT offer unlimited 38Mbps fibre packages. Plusnet are substantially cheaper on like-for-like packages but you don't get BT sport "free".

If you want ADSL, plusnet are offering it for £3.99/month for 12 months, on a 12 month contract which seems a no-brainer.

Don't forget to check cashback sites if you're into that. TopCashBack are offering £100 to take a new plusnet contract and £40 for BT right now.

edit: I was primed to move ADSL to plusnet but Sky offered me unlimited 38Mbps fibre for £10/month as a current TV subscriber.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've had cable, which is fibre, since we could get the Internet on it. I've had it here since I moved in.

Once it was NTL, now it's Virgin Media. Most of the time it works brilliantly. They upped it to a nominal 50Mbps earlier in the year, and it does that, nominally. They charge too much, but that's because they're a bunch of ***** who screw long-standing customers, like all providers.

I could chop and change, and maybe save £10 this year and £15 the next before I got re-screwed, but I'd still end up getting screwed, and I'd have all the hassle of choosing who to get screwed by.

As I'm going to get screwed anyway, I just let myself get screwed by them. It doesn't make any difference in the long run; I've been here ten years, and it's all just the same, but faster.

Comment

Can't believe someone in IT is still on old ADSL, Iv'e been on Fibre for 3 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Plusnet are substantially cheaper on like-for-like packages but you don't get BT sport "free".

Plusnet have recently started doing BT sport at half price. If that's what you are after it might swing it...

https://www.plus.net/tv/btsport/
          Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I've had cable, which is fibre, since we could get the Internet on it. I've had it here since I moved in.

Once it was NTL, now it's Virgin Media. Most of the time it works brilliantly. They upped it to a nominal 50Mbps earlier in the year, and it does that, nominally. They charge too much, but that's because they're a bunch of ***** who screw long-standing customers, like all providers.

I could chop and change, and maybe save £10 this year and £15 the next before I got re-screwed, but I'd still end up getting screwed, and I'd have all the hassle of choosing who to get screwed by.

As I'm going to get screwed anyway, I just let myself get screwed by them. It doesn't make any difference in the long run; I've been here ten years, and it's all just the same, but faster.
            This.

I tried the "give me a better deal or I'm off" line and they just said that they would take that as my 28 days notice and I'd better start talking to BT to get a line installed.

The thought of having to get a new line installed (I don't even know if there is a BT line into the property since it's been NTL since before we moved in 11 years ago) scares me, and I'm not sticking a satellite dish on the building.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Odd. Just saved myself a couple of hundred quid for a call to Virgin to get a better deal. I guess if you're on £400/hour it might not be worth it though.

On the 'get Virgin to wire up your place' question - good luck with that, they're sweating current assets and customers, not installing new infrastructure.

Comment

I've got Virgin FTTP and am lucky enough to have the cabinet just down my road. A 120Mbps service and I get 95Mbps on average. They're upgrading to 150+ and I suspect I will get 100-115Mpbs.

Fairly happy with the service but they have outages - last one was 12:30 the other day when I was playing online games, outage lasted 30 mins.

There's some dedicated fibre service that a CUKer mentioned a few days ago with 1Gbps but I suspect that could be quite fruitypricy.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                  Can't believe someone in IT is still on old ADSL, Iv'e been on Fibre for 3 years now.
                  Its a Post Code lottery. You won, I didn't.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I bet if you ring up Virgin and say you are leaving..they'd make you an offer you couldn't refuse. And when they do that, you squeeze them some more.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                      I bet if you ring up Virgin and say you are leaving..they'd make you an offer you couldn't refuse. And when they do that, you squeeze them some more.
                      As I said earlier, they told me to go if I wanted to go, when I tried that.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X