• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fibre internet questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    WHS. For basic email, you'd get by with a 300 baud modem.
    As long as nobody uses HTML or images... but then that's probably not basic email anymore
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      As long as nobody uses HTML or images... but then that's probably not basic email anymore
      I remember some time in the early 2000's I decided to go character-based only, set up my then Sun Ultra-80, quad-proc, to receive Unix mail from ClaraNet as it was, worked, but could I read any of it? Could I bollox, it was all full of html tags....

Lesson learnt. In 2001......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I remember some time in the early 2000's I decided to go character-based only, set up my then Sun Ultra-80, quad-proc, to receive Unix mail from ClaraNet as it was, worked, but could I read any of it? Could I bollox, it was all full of html tags....

Lesson learnt. In 2001......
        Haha, couldn't get it to work? It's sad but some of us still use console based email today.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          Haha, couldn't get it to work? It's sad but some of us still use console based email today.
          No, it worked, but Solaris 2.6 (I think then, might have been 2.5.1) just even back then email was being delivered in most case in HTML and while you could read the text if your eye could filter out the tagging, it was too much for me. I used Fetchmail, that just came to me!

I remember at the time I working part time at the Barony College in Dumfries, they had SunOS 4.1.3 on an Ultra 10 that at the time, the higher-ups were tuliptting themselves WRT to year 2000, SunOS being non-compliant, in the end, nowt happened...

Lovely place the Barony, an old Stately Home converted to a College. Not far from Ae, the shortest place name in UK I think....

Comment

Late addition to the thread but I am on BT Infinity and have found it to be pretty good to be honest.

BT point you at their speed checker when diagnosing faults which is BTW Performance Test

I am running at 74 Meg upload and 14 Meg download right now. This often drops to around 35-40 upload during the day and when every device is on in the house but still very happy with it. No outages that I can think of and BT sport is very good. I live in kind of a rural out of town village as well so pretty impressed with that.

They also keep sending me new Home Hubs from time to time. Got the HomeHub 5 last week so have 4 and 3 around the house extending the wireless signals. 4 and 5 are dual band and the 5 doesn't need the infinity box on the wall. Just plug it straight in to the socket.

If you ring up and complain they will knock a fiver off the bill or give you something free for a while as well. Certainly no complaints here.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Late addition to the thread but I am on BT Infinity and have found it to be pretty good to be honest.

BT point you at their speed checker when diagnosing faults which is BTW Performance Test

I am running at 74 Meg upload and 14 Meg download right now. This often drops to around 35-40 upload during the day and when every device is on in the house but still very happy with it. No outages that I can think of and BT sport is very good. I live in kind of a rural out of town village as well so pretty impressed with that.

They also keep sending me new Home Hubs from time to time. Got the HomeHub 5 last week so have 4 and 3 around the house extending the wireless signals. 4 and 5 are dual band and the 5 doesn't need the infinity box on the wall. Just plug it straight in to the socket.

If you ring up and complain they will knock a fiver off the bill or give you something free for a while as well. Certainly no complaints here.
              Is it really that way round? Normally downspeed is the faster.....
              latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                Depends where you're standing.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                  It was late and I was tired so yes you are correct.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am now getting the vast speed of .5meg now...and at that its very poor because of the large amount of errors. The line seems to be degrading fast.

Called my phone provider and the had BT Openreach come out. The engineer hung around for 15 minutes running some checks. Shrugged his shoulders and said "long line" mumbled something about doing checks in the CO and then walked out. I am very suspicious that he did anything at all in CO.

I suppose I should keep on my phone provider. The line has been degrading over time. It really should be replaced. One of my neighbours just had his done.

Anyone had any luck getting BT to replace their line. What's a good tactic?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I have had shocking experience of BT Infiinity 2.

Started off for 2 months with a clean 70MBit download.

Back around easter the thing just stopped working for 4 days whilst BT dealt with some major problem affecting the whole area code.

Once fixed we were ok until end of May when we started getting dropouts on a regular basis. Sometimes the connection would be down for hours.

Reported issue. Offshore support line promised an engineer visit at a really bad time of day for me but agreed as nothing else would work. Waited in for the guy and he never turned up.
                      Turns out they closed the fault ticket without telling me because apparently they'd fixed the problem
                      Dropouts continue, BT Infinity speed now below 30Mbits/s

worked out recently we have an occasional noisy crackle on the phone line, but BT can't detect anything remotely.

Engineer visit booked for next Friday. Hoping the fooker turns up this time.
                      I will be monitoring their system like a hawk because they have a tendency to close tickets without notice, stating the problem is fixed without first consulting me.

Comment

Working...
                      X