• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fibre internet questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar with Sky, you get a hefty discount on internet/phone if you have Sky TV.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) with BT. I get about 30 mbps download and about 10 upload. We have had no outages in about 3 years we have had FTTC. My experience of switching from ADSL to FTTC was painless, on the appointed day it just got plugged in and it worked. Given your distance to the cabinet is 100m, you should be able to get the maximum possible download speed. Whether it is worth it or not is debatable if you get 17 mbps from ADSL. As an aside, our monthly usage is about 200Gb of bandwidth (mostly NetFlix usage I suppose), make sure you get a proper unlimted bandwidth account if you think you'll be streaming video etc.....
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Our package deal with Sky broadband (ADSL) is about to expire and I'm wondering if now is the time to upgrade to fibre. I'm in an area with fibre - in fact the exchange is about 100m away across the street.

I see now people are offering up to 80Mbps but I haven't kept up with the technology. Any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

Is it still the case with fibre you need a landline like with ADSL? Who is good - and is the basic service the same other than usage caps, cost and customer service or do different people offer different products?

I work from home so no internet for days/weeks is simply not an option. Is switching to fibre painless in this regard?
        Are you sure you can get FTTC - because if you are that close to the exchange your line probably goes directly to the switch. In which case you can't get fibre, unless BT have done this thing called 'rearrangement' where your line is shifted to a cabinet.

I have this issue with my line - everyone around the exchange beyond 200m is able to get fibre..anyone within that radius is SOL.

So now we've gone from having super-speedy broadband with a 20Meg download..to being a bit slow. There is supposed to be Vigin Media in the area though..wonder how much they'd charge to wire the building. Mind you Virgin's business product maxes at 50Meg I believe.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

At least one provider confirms we are eligible. I'm not sure when they upgraded the box to fibre but our whole street was only build 8 years ago; maybe that's why. Or maybe we're just lucky - although it probably is more like 200m away in reality.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hiya

I had Sky ADSL and swapped to Fibre 6 months ago. I lost my line for about 30 minutes whilst the line was moved to the fibre cabinet and it all came back to life with 40meg down and 10meg up, Never looked back. They also now do self install with an SR102 router you can install this immediately on ADSL and it works for both so no config after the switch.

Hope it helps

Comment

I can recommend getting fibre, at least if you get it all the way to the house. Here's my speed:

Comment

robpow, who's your provider?
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                  robpow, who's your provider?
                  Hyperoptic presumably

Comment

Hyperoptic. They mainly provide fibre to apartment blocks.

Matt

Comment

I am moving broadband supplier soon. Cant decide if I should go with SKY or BT.

BT charge too much to get an uncapped service but you get sports and I would suspect the service and the hub are better.

I suspect I will go with SKY and regret it.

Comment

Working...
                      X