• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Random calls - Wrong number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random calls - Wrong number

Over the last few weeks I've had a handful of people ring me and they say it's a wrong number. One rang me just now to say he's had a missed call from this number about a payment issue. The people are all English and sound to be of varying ages so appear genuine people rather than offshore scammers. It's only the last guy that mentioned a payment issue. All calls show a mobile number but not tried ringing any of them back. I would guess they are normal people at the end of a scam rather than someone trying to scam me.

I'm assuming then some scammer is spoofing my number so it looks like the I've made the call. I thought about ringing the last guy back but bearing in mind there is an attempted scam going on from my number he'd be daft to answer it again.

Anyone else had this?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Happened to me a few times last year. Someone has been spoofing your number. Why anyone returns a missed call from someone who they don't know, I really can't figure out.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Happened to me a few times last year. Someone has been spoofing your number. Why anyone returns a missed call from someone who they don't know, I really can't figure out.
      Well I'm currently on the gig hunt so feel obliged to respond as it could be an agent with a juicy gig... but yes generally if they want me they'll call again.

Sad thing is when I say varying ages, and I know it's difficult to tell, they were all on the older end. When they get a call saying they've had a payment failure they are more likely to call back. I'm endlessly trying to educate my parents about it and they are in their late 80's.

Comment

My parents are deeply suspicious.. they ask me every time they get some phone calls. But insist I prove my identity first. I'm running out of embarrassing childhood incidents...
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I'm running out of embarrassing childhood incidents...
          I'm sure you've got more than enough adulthood ones to fall back on.

Comment

Number Spoofing
            I have been having the same problem
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

On phone spoofing, be aware that scammers can remain connected to your phone when you dial a number. Had a seemingly convincing call, supposedly from a policeman at a local police station, that they had arrested someone who claimed to live at my address. He said I could call 101 to check his details. Had I done so straight away I could still have been talking to the scammers.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                On phone spoofing, be aware that scammers can remain connected to your phone when you dial a number. Had a seemingly convincing call, supposedly from a policeman at a local police station, that they had arrested someone who claimed to live at my address. He said I could call 101 to check his details. Had I done so straight away I could still have been talking to the scammers.
                On a mobile phone network in the UK this isn't possible. On a UK landline, only the emergency services and BT operator in engineering mode have the ability to perform this. If you hang up on a UK landline there is a 2 second delay before the call is cut off. Just wait longer before picking up the handset to dial 101.

Comment

Dunno. Not what it says here.

Beware of phone scam where criminals stay on the line after you hang up - Highlands East
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hmm..... doesn't say if the original call is on a mobile or landline, also that's Canada so not sure if applicable here as I don't know if all phone systems are the same. I thought the ability to "stay on" someone's line was a quirk of landline phones rather than mobiles, no?

Comment

Working...
                    X