• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 11 - drive getting full

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 11 - drive getting full

So my C drive (SSD) is 120GB, and it's basically operating with 1-3GB free space. I've installed a 1TB M.2 SSD card, and it would be great if I could make it the C drive.

How?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

reinstall win11 on the new drive?
    copy all user data off first of course.
    PITA, but windoze is.

Comment

New install or use something like Acronis and a temporary boot disk.

Alternatively, keep your current C: drive and park all your data on the SSD...

None of which applies if we're talking about laptops of course.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If it was me, I'd just move non Win OS stuff on to the SSD. This might make it easier to keep the important stuff backed up.

I'd look at the size of the folders under C:\ to identify big stuff that could be moved.

Win 11 is flabby but even it shouldn't need anywhere near 120Gb.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

You need some disk cloning software and then it's a piece of cake. MacOs includes this for free and I was amazed how easy it was... find a tool and then it's largely a case of follow a little wizard.

Adding a second drive would be my preference if you have the spare space - migrate documents and applications to D: and let Windows have the old drive for itself.

I would echo DonD - I use WinDirStat to see where the storage has gone. Are you sure Windows hasn't got a full backup installed there in a secret bit or something?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Use a backup tool. Acronis seems to work quite well.
            Not tried the Windows backup tools for years but they got to be better than they used to be.

Take backup.
            Swap disks.
            Restore.
            Find the license key and input (new hard disk = new system)

If you bought the system as Win10 and upgraded for free you might struggle with the original license key though.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's a desktop machine. I have windows on C, install programs to D and have my data on E.

I dug a little deepar and found that the hiberfil.sys file was consuming almost 50GB. I don't use hibernation mode, so I just opened an adminstrator cmd, and typed powercfg -h -off hiberfil.sys file has now disappeared.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

+1 for cloning the harddrive. I've used EaseUS Partition Master
                Last edited by ladymuck; 16 December 2022, 09:09.

Comment

Working...
                X