• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heat Pump Tumble dryer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Pump Tumble dryer

The old WM gave up the ghost last week but had 11 hard years (two babies/kids/dogs, etc) out of it so now have a shiny Samsung one, it is very quiet.

During my research for the new WM I was also looking at Tumble Dryers with a Heatpump, apparently they are very energy efficient and given the issues with gas/leccy prices and the coming winter of discontent it might a shrewd investment worth getting one.

Does anyone have one? Any bloody good?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    The old WM gave up the ghost last week but had 11 hard years (two babies/kids/dogs, etc) out of it so now have a shiny Samsung one, it is very quiet.

During my research for the new WM I was also looking at Tumble Dryers with a Heatpump, apparently they are very energy efficient and given the issues with gas/leccy prices and the coming winter of discontent it might a shrewd investment worth getting one.

Does anyone have one? Any bloody good?

qh
    I don't have one, but they're going to struggle to get the water up to a decent temperature in good time.
    If you had a heat pump for your main hot water then you could feed a normal washing machine with that water, but those washing machines still heat the water as hot water feeds tend to be around 50C, and the washing cycle could be 60C or higher.

So you could end up spending a load of money, for a green wash (excuse the pun) credential.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I don't have one, but they're going to struggle to get the water up to a decent temperature in good time.
      If you had a heat pump for your main hot water then you could feed a normal washing machine with that water, but those washing machines still heat the water as hot water feeds tend to be around 50C, and the washing cycle could be 60C or higher.

So you could end up spending a load of money, for a green wash (excuse the pun) credential.
      Maybe some confusion around this. This isn't a heat pump for the CH this is just a method of drying clothes.

qh

Comment

The Miele TD thing I bought seems to do what it says on the tin without needing a 4" hosepipe and a hole in the wall to get rid of the hot air.

It comes fitted with a really inneresting sort of random number generator that informs you of how long things are going to take.

Then, with a few minutes to go, changes its mind and adds another 20 minutes or so.

It makes very satisfying amounts of lint, if you're into that sort of thing, great for lighting bonfires.

Plus gallons of distilled water if you don't plumb it in to the drain.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Our Miele isn't a heat pump one, but is plumbed in and is a lot more efficient that the previous one.

I'd definitely recommend Miele as a brand, the build quality and balance of the machines is very impressive - they don't just use an elastic band belt drive around the drum, nor do they rely on concrete blocks mounted above the CoG to keep it steady.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Maybe some confusion around this. This isn't a heat pump for the CH this is just a method of drying clothes.

qh
            Bit confused, where is it getting the heat from? Does it incorporate an air-source pump to heat itself more efficiently, or is it regenerating/capturing the heat it emits?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"A heat pump tumble dryer uses hot air to absorb moisture from your clothes. After this air passes through the drum, it goes through the evaporator, which removes the moisture. This is then collected and stored in a tank. The remaining air is reheated and used to continue drying your clothes."

https://www.homeserve.com/uk/living/...-tumble-dryer/

qh

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                It comes fitted with a really inneresting sort of random number generator that informs you of how long things are going to take.

Then, with a few minutes to go, changes its mind and adds another 20 minutes or so..
                Microsoft operating system them?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"A heat pump tumble dryer uses hot air to absorb moisture from your clothes. After this air passes through the drum, it goes through the evaporator, which removes the moisture. This is then collected and stored in a tank. The remaining air is reheated and used to continue drying your clothes."

https://www.homeserve.com/uk/living/...-tumble-dryer/

qh
                  It sounds a bit like a condensing TD but, I note from the link, the main difference is not recycling the warm air.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Our Miele isn't a heat pump one, but is plumbed in and is a lot more efficient that the previous one.

I'd definitely recommend Miele as a brand, the build quality and balance of the machines is very impressive - they don't just use an elastic band belt drive around the drum, nor do they rely on concrete blocks mounted above the CoG to keep it steady.
                    They don't stint on the concrete, the WM is 100kg, the TD slightly less.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X