• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a small NAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a small NAS

Friday afternoon, bored.
    I'm looking for a small (<5TB) NAS that I can plug into an RJ-45 port on my router (or possibly plug into my time capsule). It's not for backup, it's for music storage.
    In reality, 1TB would be more than I currently need.
    It won't be going through the company, so it doesn't need to be the mutt's nads.

I have a few spare backup drives lying around, but they are all just USB (or has anyone used a USB to RJ45 connector to make the drive a NAS?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Why spend on a NAS when your time capsule will do the job of storing your music? Just create a directory on there and off you go. Thats what I do. If you don't have enough space on your Time Capsule then buy another (2TB) one from eBay. Thats what I do :-)

Comment

If you just want to store music files and don't mind that the Time Capsule is old then I'd agree with @LoanCharged

If you do want a NAS appliance, while personally I use Synology, I think you'll find all the SOHO vendors have a product that would meet your needs.

NAS typically provides for disk redundancy, performance, ease of management, and these days will run various applications ... but do you need these things?

I'd say that there's no point connecting a USB interfaced drive to a NAS appliance.
      If you want to make something to share files from USB drives then you could connect them to a Raspberry PI and share them, or even install a NAS operating system on the PI, such as Openmediavault.

Comment

+1 for Pi if it’s just about storage. I use one with an SSD and it copes with everything I throw at it.

Comment

scrub that too complex
          Last edited by eek; 23 April 2022, 07:00.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I can't recommend one but I can tell you which one to avoid: Western Digital.

They ended support for their old OS earlier this year and the new version, and the associated app, is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by fulcon View Post
              I can't recommend one but I can tell you which one to avoid: Western Digital.

They ended support for their old OS earlier this year and the new version, and the associated app, is terrible.
              I have an old WD TV hub and it has been out of date for years. The hard drive sounds like it’s on the way out, and the speed is chronic, hence the change.

Having considered the advice above, I’ve just got a 2TB time capsule for £64 on fleabay. That means the music can stay separate from the backups.

thanks all

Comment

Do you care about drive resilience e.g. RAID?

There are some very inexpensive drives out there by WD, Synology, etc if you don't need a good CPU. Might be as cheap as an actual ethernet enclosure (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabit-Eth.../dp/B07YYG5S4S).

But I think your solution was as good as anything.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Does anyone know the difference between a 2TB Time Capsule and a 3TB one?

...well, the seller on fleaBay didn't

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Does anyone know the difference between a 2TB Time Capsule and a 3TB one?

...well, the seller on fleaBay didn't
                    The main difference is that the bigger one comes with 1TiB of malware

Comment

Working...
                    X