• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upgrade to BT broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to BT broadband

WiFi on my Home Hub 5 has got rather naff so thinking of upgrading to Halo 3 with new Smart Hub, at no extra cost apparently. (Suspicious hmm)

Trouble is, not sure about a couple of things and no sure advice on BT or Google.
    a) I use ethernet cables for my desktops upstairs. Will these cables still work ok with the new gigabit ethernet and are the plugs the same? Colossal hassle replacing the cables.
    b) Less important as they don't cost much, will my ethernet switch still work?

Cheers
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Yes and yes.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I guess you are a project manager then?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Further to my previous answer:
        https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/le...ypes-of-bt-hub
        You've got 4 posts on the back, each supporting 10/100/1000Mbit using standard RJ-45 connectors.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Further to my previous answer:
          https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/le...ypes-of-bt-hub
          You've got 4 posts on the back, each supporting 10/100/1000Mbit using standard RJ-45 connectors.
          RJ-45 connectors are good enough from 10-1Gbit. The final speed of the connections depends on the hardware at either end (both ends need to be 1Gbit for a 1Gbit/1000Mbit connection) and the quality of the cable between the ends (older cables had less stringent rules for isolation and crosstalk).

While it may make no difference replacing your hub and switch with a 1000Mb one could easily improve line speed depending on the cable you first put down.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Cheers for answers. May as well give it a go.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What I find remarkable about this is the short duration of the battery power that allows 999 calls in the event of a power cut: up to 1 hour.

Which is tough tulipe if it's off for days, as has happened quite recently.

Oh, but everyone's got a mobile, er, yes, but what happens when the mobile tower is off because of the power cut too?

There's an Ofcomm thing about it, but it seems to say tough tulipe.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Just be aware that it may be free because BT want everyone moving over to digital phone lines which don't work when there's a power cut. Double check whether that's part of the "deal" first.

If you're in a poor mobile reception area, you may not want to lose the only other means of making an emergency call.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Just be aware that it may be free because BT want everyone moving over to digital phone lines which don't work when there's a power cut. Double check whether that's part of the "deal" first.

If you're in a poor mobile reception area, you may not want to lose the only other means of making an emergency call.
                  ^^THIS^^

If you have any alarm stuff (burglar/fire/life support for example) connected to your landline check that these will still work too.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

It's not a want of BT, it's a requirement. Come 2026 Openreach want the old copper network to be redundant and ideally gone

The path for it can be found at Retiring the copper network (openreach.com) and the test seems to be if ultrafast full fibre is available your copper days are numbered up to your renewal date.

I don't have that problem as our BT network is so insane we are seemingly the last people being moved.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X