• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new laptops

After years of mac (only because they last so much longer) I now need to upgrade. Rather than dropping 3/4 k on a mac pro - i'm thinking of getting a cheaper apple and a windows laptop too.

I use my machines mostly for management type stuff although occasionally still code - no gaming.

Recommendations would be much appreciated.

Weight, good battery, excellent performance and good camera are all important to me

I have 2 laptops here. A Lenovo 15.6 screen 8 GB Ram 512SSD. Never leaves the house. My traveller is a Microsoft Surface Pro. 8GB RAM 256 GB. Both very good very quick.
    Both are used for Internet, Zoom/Teams, MS Office, very occasional publishing stuff and the odd bit of python/html/javascript coding.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

I'm very happy with my XPS13

Comment

I'm very happy with my XPS15 9500.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm loving the Surface Pro. Had them at the last client and I thought they'd be useless. Had it a year and no signs of it failing. Enjoyed it so much got one at home now. I think it's probably a hard choice if you've never used one because its so different but once you have it's spot on.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I'm loving the Surface Pro. Had them at the last client and I thought they'd be useless. Had it a year and no signs of it failing. Enjoyed it so much got one at home now. I think it's probably a hard choice if you've never used one because its so different but once you have it's spot on.
            I totally agree and if doing a lot of travelling the Surface Pro weighs next to nothing. Much better than having a bulky Dell or HP with you.
            I like my large Lenovo for publishing stuff because of the large screen but I could also just live with the Surface Pro if I only had to have one machine.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

I did the same thing a few years ago.

I went for the 15" Dell Latitude 5491 with SSD and a graphics card because I used Visio type apps and video creators. I even went for a refurbished one from the Dell Outlet. It doesn't have as good a screen but as it was a third the price of an equivalent Mac I decided that I could live without the screen.

I've been very happy with it.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I got a surface pro for my daughter for university. She loves it.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Always buy from Dell's outlet.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

+1 for Surfaces.

Surface pros are good. Mid range price. And you can get an LTE one for a SIM card so ultra mobile.
                    Surface laptop if you don't need a removable keyboard or a camera on the back. Lower price.
                    Surface Book for the biggest bang, but they are Apple-like pricing.

I cannot speak for the lower end ones.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X