• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: new laptops

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "new laptops"

Collapse

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

What spec and where did you buy it from? MS are saying Jan 3rd with express delivery.

qh
    i7, 512 SSD and 16 GB RAM. Discounted from £1799 to £1499 on MS site, delivered next business day.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Brand new Surface Laptop 4 just landed. Black Friday deal meant it was discounted to £1500. Loving it so far.
    What spec and where did you buy it from? MS are saying Jan 3rd with express delivery.

qh

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Brand new Surface Laptop 4 just landed. Black Friday deal meant it was discounted to £1500. Loving it so far.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Have you tried to use Visual Studio or other MS products with that kind of resolution on a 15" screen? Not fun.
    I use the laptop for development. No problem at all. However, I do have to wear reading glasses (regardless of the resolution). I find laptops with 17" screens somewhat unwieldy.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Have you tried using the laptops when they are not on the "optimal resolution"?
    So DPI then.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Surely if your laptop is too high-res, you can either increase the DPI or change the resolution?
    Have you tried using the laptops when they are not on the "optimal resolution"?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Surely if your laptop is too high-res, you can either increase the DPI or change the resolution?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Does that mean you are using the wrong tools then? A laptop is just not the right product for the job. The trade off is clarity vs portability. I get you've got to lug it around and can't always have an external screen set up but if you are based from home then trying to make do on a laptop when it's not the right tool maybe needs a rethink? Surely a higher res screen is just a sticking plaster and the solution is external screens where possible?

Just putting out there.
    So the Surface Laptop has a good resolution for dev work with or without an external screen.... For me that ticks the boxes as I travel a lot as well as use it at home about 80% of the time. Was wondering if there are any other options.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I quite like my iMac 5k...
    Likewise.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

+1 ideal resolution would be QHD - which is what my desktop screens are. Thankfully QHD laptop screens are starting to appear now
    I quite like my iMac 5k...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Do you have any recommendations?
    Personally I like the Razer Blade's but all the new Ryzen 5000 series laptops seem to offer them as does a few intel laptops.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Have you tried to use Visual Studio or other MS products with that kind of resolution on a 15" screen? Not fun.
    Does that mean you are using the wrong tools then? A laptop is just not the right product for the job. The trade off is clarity vs portability. I get you've got to lug it around and can't always have an external screen set up but if you are based from home then trying to make do on a laptop when it's not the right tool maybe needs a rethink? Surely a higher res screen is just a sticking plaster and the solution is external screens where possible?

Just putting out there.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

+1 ideal resolution would be QHD - which is what my desktop screens are. Thankfully QHD laptop screens are starting to appear now
    Do you have any recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My XPS 9500 has 3840x2000 resolution. Is that not good enough? (Sharp as a pin as well).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X