• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure why you would want a Mac Pro. Why not just get an iMac or Mac Mini?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Was just about to post on this topic until I saw this thread. So many years ago I took CUK's advice. I got a Dell XPS 15 and it sure has served me well, the main pain point being the resolution is really annoying. I have a Surface Lapto from my current Client Co and it seems to be a much better fit for my usage:

- SSMS
      - Visual Studio/Visual Studio Code
      - MS Teams

I'm thinking to make a switch to Surface Laptop from the XPS 15 mainly cos the resolution of the Surface Pro appears better suited to Microsoft products.
      Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 17 November 2021, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Not sure why you would want a Mac.
        FTFY

Comment

My XPS 9500 has 3840x2000 resolution. Is that not good enough? (Sharp as a pin as well).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            My XPS 9500 has 3840x2000 resolution. Is that not good enough? (Sharp as a pin as well).
            Have you tried to use Visual Studio or other MS products with that kind of resolution on a 15" screen? Not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Have you tried to use Visual Studio or other MS products with that kind of resolution on a 15" screen? Not fun.
              +1 ideal resolution would be QHD - which is what my desktop screens are. Thankfully QHD laptop screens are starting to appear now
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

+1 ideal resolution would be QHD - which is what my desktop screens are. Thankfully QHD laptop screens are starting to appear now
                Do you have any recommendations?

Comment

Does that mean you are using the wrong tools then? A laptop is just not the right product for the job. The trade off is clarity vs portability. I get you've got to lug it around and can't always have an external screen set up but if you are based from home then trying to make do on a laptop when it's not the right tool maybe needs a rethink? Surely a higher res screen is just a sticking plaster and the solution is external screens where possible?

Just putting out there.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you have any recommendations?
                    Personally I like the Razer Blade's but all the new Ryzen 5000 series laptops seem to offer them as does a few intel laptops.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I quite like my iMac 5k...
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X