• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which cordless tool ecosystem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So not the battery's fault after all?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Apparently not that battery's fault.

Other batteries, however, are faulty, one to the extent that it fecked the charger.

<hiatus>

It's still charged, ain't that a wonder.

<hiatus>

It's still still charged, even more of a wonder.

Makes one think.

<hiatus from 17th April>

Battery's finally flat.

Took a while.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 May 2021, 09:55.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I have a 12 year old Bosch cordless 24v hammer drill which has given sterling service over the years. The original batteries stopped holding a charge for more than an hour or so, but I found a Japanese replacement using the current LiOn tech that has rejuvenated it. Holds a charge forever when not in use, lasts several hours when busy and about a third the price of a new drill.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Talking of power tools, has anyone got, or used one of these multi-tools? https://tools4trade.co.uk/collection...tool-body-only

what exactly does/can it do?
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
            Talking of power tools, has anyone got, or used one of these multi-tools? https://tools4trade.co.uk/collection...tool-body-only

It does lots of things.. such as sanding

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-tm...ool-bare/892fg

Comment

Multi tools are basically the best wrong tool for every job.

There are very few jobs where they are the best thing to use, but because they're small and reciprocating they come in super handy for all sorts. Great for cutting out things like floorboards, undercutting architrave and that sort of thing. You can get sanding pads and stuff for them.

The blades are expensive and don't last, though. And because they're reciprocate left to right it's hard to be accurate with your cuts if cutting into a material. For example, cutting out a square. But because they plunge, you can get into places that would be a challenge otherwise
              Last edited by vwdan; 30 April 2021, 08:12.

Comment

I have the Dewalt one, looks near-identical. Very useful mainly for plunging as vw says, or little fiddly things. For actually getting things done, it's really handy.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks to you both for replying (sorry no idea how to multi-quote on here) ..I've often pondered these multi-tools & wondered what the hell they could be used for, so thanks for suggesting their use...they're not expensive (for just the body) so am thinking I might get one. I reckon my CXT 10v batteries for the drill and driver would fit one too. I'll do some research. How are they used with floorboards? Not that I have any old traditional ones, but am just curious.

Edit: I watched a few videos earlier on the use of these...& having been dealing with a few errant, raised, block paving blocks on my drive this afternoon, I think I may have found a use for that multi-tool (which of course I don't have)...cutting through tree roots of around 1" diameter. I resorted to drill, hammer and chisel which eventually did the job, but couldn't help thinking how useful that bloody multi-tool might have been in cutting straight through the blighters. Oh well, I'll add it to my birthday present list.
                  Last edited by SteelyDan; 30 April 2021, 14:30.
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

Thanks to you both for replying (sorry no idea how to multi-quote on here) ..I've often pondered these multi-tools & wondered what the hell they could be used for, so thanks for suggesting their use...they're not expensive (for just the body) so am thinking I might get one. I reckon my CXT 10v batteries for the drill and driver would fit one too. I'll do some research. How are they used with floorboards? Not that I have any old traditional ones, but am just curious.
                    Regarding the floorboards - they're mega handy for cutting through the tongue and groove, so you can remove individual boards. Because they plunge you have a lot of control over the depth you're cutting, and can get into tighter spaces than something like a circular saw

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      Apparently not that battery's fault.

Other batteries, however, are faulty, one to the extent that it fecked the charger.

It's still charged, ain't that a wonder.

It's still still charged, even more of a wonder.

Makes one think.
                      Stone me it's still still charged.

Maybe it's down to a discharge path in the tool itself.

Very inneresting.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X